book ideas for a range of readers

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Emerson Squirl, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Dec 1, 2010

I just finished my first round of conferences, and I had a lot of requests for book ideas for parents to give their children. A few parents wanted their child to kinda get away from reading just Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, but I'm not sure what to suggest. I don't know many titles that would be at the students' reading levels, but that would also not offend their ability or interests. Anyone have any ideas? Another general interest in my class is the fantasy genre: Harry Potter, Fablehaven, Lightening Thief, etc. Again, some of the kids that are interested in these titles aren't quite at that reading level.

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Dec 2, 2010

When I taught fourth grade a lot of my students liked:
    - the Hank Zipzer series by Henry Winkler and Lin Oliver
    - books by Andrew Clements
    - Beastquest series
    - The Tardy Boys series by Todd Strasser (Is That a Sick Cat in Your Backpack?, etc.)
    - Katie Kazoo books
    - Puppy Place series
    - 39 Clues series
    - Geronimo Stilton series
    - Encyclopedia Brown series

4. corney

corney Companion

Dec 3, 2010

My daughter likes the Geronimo Stilton Books, Thea Stilton are the new additions to that series..

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

Based on your assessments,what is the range of your readers? I'm guessing a range from guided reading level L to T or above.... Do you want suggestions for each reading level?

6. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 5, 2010

I agree that it would be helpful to know the reading levels that you are looking for. It's always hard to find texts for the below and above grade level readers... they look at the below grade level books as "baby" books, and some of the above grade level texts are too mature.

7. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Dec 9, 2010

Ok, I put a list together of all the reading levels in my class. The reading assessment program lists the reading levels according to grade equivalency. My students range from 1.4 to 9.7. The student at 9.7 is kinda on his own; my other high readers read more at a late 5th to early 6th grade level. Looks like I'm shooting for books between the L to T guided reading level like czacza suggested. I hope that helps. I'm lost as to what books to steer kids to. thanks!!!!

8. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 11, 2010

I don't know what would be "cool" for 4th graders, but these are some of the books my 2nd graders like. In all honesty, you can somewhat change your students' reading interests. I started author studies this year, and they have been excited about each one we have done. A lot of them have never been exposed to different types of writing and genres. Also, I think Scholastic has some way to get lists by reading level and interest on their site. Maybe try that out and try to print out a list for parents? I hope this is at least a little helpful!

1.5-2.0
    Fly Guy
    My First Graphic Novels

2.0-2.5
    Billy Blaster (graphic novels)
    Junie B. Jones
    Froggy books

2.5-3.0
    Bailey School Kids JR Chapter books
    Horrible Harry
    Black Lagoon
    Magic Treehouse

3.0-3.5
    Katie Kazoo
    Cam Jansen
    Jigsaw Jones
    Black Lagoon Chapter books

3.5-4.0
    Ghostville Elementary
    Skippyjon Jones (we just did an author study on these books, and the kids LOVED him, especially since he speaks Spanish)

9. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Dec 14, 2010

the site to use

UVAgrl928 had the best idea. Scholastic does have a site called Book Wizard that is just what you need. You put in a topic or theme a student is interested in and search. You are given a list of books on that theme/topic that you can then narrow down to a specific reading level (grade level, lexile, DRA, guided reading). You make a list and email it or print it out for a parent.

I teach my 4th graders how to use the site so they can always look up books when something sparks their interest.

http://bookwizard.scholastic.com

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 14, 2010