Book Groups

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by New3rdTeacher, Jun 22, 2008.

1. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

Hello there,

I am thinking of doing lots of book groups along with the reading program that we do at school!
    I want to start a book right when school starts. I teach thrid grade and would like to start by reading a late 2nd grade chapter book.

Does anyone have any suggestions on books, I want to order a class set before school starts.

Thanks again, I love this site. It's great and should e mandatory for new teachers!:p

3. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

I do book groups with my class. Originally the intent was to do guided reading, but there was no time for ME to do the guiding--my aide took a group outside to read together while I taught one grade inside. Next year, I'm changing things around, and I will have a guided reading group two days a week during small group activity time, and on a different two days each week, my aide will pull kids out to read together again, but I'm calling that "Book Club." I have many guided reading sets that I got from Scholastic, or that were already in the classroom when I started. (They are regular paperback books, but 6-copy sets.) Have you signed up with Scholastic yet, to do the book orders? That is the best way to get books in the classroom that I've found. They often have guided reading sets available for teachers to order, in each monthly order. Everything I've seen offered in the Lucky order as a guided reading set is good for this age group.

For specific books, there's the Magic Tree House books and the Flat Stanley books...those are at about a 2nd grade level. I think the Magic School Bus chapter books are, too.

4. msufan

msufan Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

What about doing a couple of smaller book groups so that kids can read a book that is closer to their ability level? That will be an issue if you choose one book for everyone to read.

5. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

Oh, definitely--kids' interests and reading levels vary so much at this age. I had four groups last year, all reading four different books.

6. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 22, 2008

Ya, I thought about doing that