Book Genre Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Andrea L, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

This may be a silly question...but I need an answer and I feel safe asking it here. Is there a quick and easy way to figure out a book's genre? I know which books are fiction/non-fiction, but how do you tell the difference between historical fiction, realistic fiction, mystery, etc. Is there a website that tells the genre's of the books? Is it located on the book somewhere that I'm not aware of? Help...please! :thanks:

3. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Realistic fiction is easy. Any book that could really happen but is fiction is RF. Junie B. Jones for example. Historical Fiction is based on history but again, fictional. Abraham Lincoln's Hat is a HF based on what we know about Abe. Mystery is easy because it's ususally in the title. But for more info, you can go to Beth Newingham's website about genre's. Just google her name. I hope this helps.

4. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I had a college professor that was very difficult, but I learned a lot from her. One thing I had to know was genres. This is taken from my course packet from that class.
    Quick Reference for Genres of Children's Literature (by Dr. Peggy Rice)

-Literature Reflecting Diverse Perspectives -includes Multicultural Literature and International Literature

Multicultural Literature - tradebooks having as the protagonist a member of a group that has been traditionally marginalized due to -isms. (racism, ageism, etc.) Example: Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman by Kathleen Krull

International Literature - selections originally published for children in a country other than the United States in a language of that country and later published in the United States. Example: The Friends Tr. by Cathy Hirano

-Modern Fantasy- refers to the body of literature in which the events, the settings, or the characters are outside the realm of possibility. A fantasy is a story that cannot happen in the real world. Example: Chato's Kitchen by Gary Soto - includes Science Fiction

Science Fiction - a form of imaginative literature that provides a picture of something that could happen based on real scientific facts and principles. (many times involving the future of humankind)

Traditional Fantasy - The body of ancient stories and poems that grew out of the human quest to understand the natural and spiritual worlds and that was preserved through time by the oral tradition of storytelling before being eventually written. Example: Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella by Robert D. San Souci

Informational Books - The content emphasis is documented fact; primary purpose is to inform (also can have faction - the well-told nonfiction that has fictional overtones) Example: Jelly Beans for Sale by Bruce McMillan Includes Biography -

Poetry - you know this one

Contemporary Realistic Fiction - imaginative writing that accurately reflects life as it could be lived today. Example: Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key by Jack Gantos

Historical Fiction - Realistic fiction that is set in a time period remote enough from the present to be considered history. The story is imaginary, but within the realm of possibility that such events could have occurred. The author blends historical facts with imaginary characters and plot. The facts areactual historical events, authentic period settings, and real historical figures. Example: The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker by Cynthia DeFelice

There you have it...more than you ever wanted to know about genres....and believe it or not...I left out a lot of it!!! If you have any more questions about it, let me know, it's probably in here!

5. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Beth Newingham has good genre posters on her site. THey are helpful.

6. Ladysnap

Ladysnap Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Sometimes the general genre is listed on the spine of the book, but not often in children's lit.

7. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

If you look the book up on Scholastic's book wizard, it will list genres.

Some books seem to fit two or more genres...like the Magic Tree House books - could be science fiction (time travel) or historical fiction or fantasy.

Good luck!

8. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

Thank you so much... this is one of my tasks today in my classroom!