Book for first day of school

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by MrsCAD, Jul 19, 2009.

1. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 19, 2009

I teach 7th/8th grade LA and I am looking for a book or two that I could use the first day or two of school. I would like to read it to the kids (so no big chapter book) and then have them do some sort of mini writing with it. Any ideas?

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris van Allsburg is great for writing. I usually only show the students one or two of the pictures and let them write the stories. But the mystery that is the introduction is excellent.

Another picture book I like to use for writing is The Stranger, also by van Allsburg. I read it to the kids and them have them discuss with partners or small groups who the strager is. They work together to create a short paragraph that fills in the mysteries left at the end of the story.

4. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

I got this idea from another poster, but I think it's great.

Read How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teague (picture book about a boy that tells all these creative lies about what he did over the summer).

Have students create a writing piece about their summer vacation. The piece cannot include any true statements about their vacation. Encourage them to be as creative as possible while still being appropriate.

5. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I have taught 7th LA for 4 years. I begin each year with Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco. Then I do a pre-write assessment the next day. I have the students write and demonstrate their knowledge of the writing process so I can see where they stand. The prompt is to write about a time that a teacher impacted your life (they can decide if that impact is positive or negative).

I am thinking this year of doing a different book though. Maybe I'll do something different each class period. I would love to read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Where the Wild Things Are, but I don't know what writing prompts to use yet. I'm so excited for those movies!

6. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I really like your idea!!!