Book club suggestions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by myKroom, Nov 12, 2014.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 12, 2014

Some friends and I are starting up a book club. I'm looking for some suggestions!

Thanks!:D

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 12, 2014

Are you on Goodreads? There is a list of the most popular books that people are reading. You could get some ideas there. Also, if you go to your local library and ask they might have some ideas.

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 12, 2014

I did just look at Goodreads! Found one I was interested in...just looking for personal suggestions as well.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 12, 2014

I think She Left Me The Gun would be a good one. It's by a journalist who researched her mom's family background after she died and found a lot of skeletons in the closet. It's really well-written-funny and poignant at the same time.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2014

My book club usually picks a theme. Our themes can be really off the wall- I know one theme was "A movie you watched before you realized it was a book adaption". So we all suggested something we watched and want to read the book. I can't remember what was chosen, but my suggestion was The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
    We've only been together for about a year. Here are some of the books we've read that I enjoyed:
    -The Fault in Our Stars
    -The Divergent Trilogy
    -The Dexter series (we only read the 1st, but most of us went on)
    -all of Gillian Flynn's books- Sharp Objects, Dark Places, and Gone Girl. (DP is my favorite and GG is my least)
    -The Rosie Project by Graeme Simpson

Some books that we read that I didn't care for, but others did:
    -Serena by Ron Rash
    -Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs

Some of my personal favorites that would be good book club books:
    -Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys
    -The Pact by Jodi Picoult (most of her books in general)
    -The Way Life Should Be by Christina Baker Kline
    -The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
    -All Different Kinds of Free by Jessica McCann

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 13, 2014

I have seen "book club" questions in the back of some books. I'm trying to think of which books they were. I am not in a book club but my friends and I have read a few of Sarah Addison Allen's books and they are great for discussions. If you start with Garden Spells you can catch the sequel coming out in January and do that one as well.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 13, 2014

Team of Rivals

A Walk in the Woods

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 13, 2014

I'm in a neighborhood book club. Some of the ones I recall us having pretty good discussion with are:
    The Fault in Our Stars
    Defending Jacob
    The Art of Racing in the Rain
    Sarah's Keys
    Devil in the White City
    The Glass Castle
    The Help
    The Pilot's Wife
    Time Traveler's Wife
    The Hunger Games
    Wonder (this was my pick, I think everyone age 11 and up should read this book :) )

Sorry for not including the names of the authors, I'm looking at my list of books and I didn't jot down the author's name by the book name. We've read plenty of other ones, we meet every 6-8 weeks and I joined the group in 2009. These are the ones I remember most people finishing, enjoying and having good conversations about. It's not rare at all in our group of 10 members to only have 4-5 read the whole book. Almost all of us work full time, have either young children or teens, and basically have no qualms about not reading a book selected if it's just too long, too hard, or just not interesting. The hostess doesn't take offense (well not publicly anyways!) and will generally admit when the selected book just turned out to not be a great pick. Our next book is Emma which I'm looking forward to reading again as it's been probably 15-20 years since I read it.

10. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Nov 13, 2014

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty would be a great choice if you want to have some interesting discussions. My favorite read of this past summer!