Book Club - July

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by deedee, Jun 26, 2007.

1. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

I got my "Dog in the Night" from Amazon today, and I'm starting tonight!
    :D

2. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 6, 2007

Maybe it is me but I could not get into this book. I read through the first 3 chapters while at Borders and wound up not buying the book.

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2007

i got my copy today!!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2007

mine is on it's way from paperbackswap.com :)

5. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

For those of you who haven't read it--it's phenomenal! I actually read it in a "Young Adult Literature" class in undergrad. Haddon does a wonderful job portraying his narrator. The issues of communication that are addressed are very much worth discussion, and I would consider this book a tear-jerker (in spots).

Kudos to the book choice! I may have to stop in once everyone starts discussing!

How exciting!

6. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

I'm done!!!!!!!!!!! What a STRANGE book! But strangely compelling! There were times when I didn't like it at all, and times when I loved it! I look forward to the discussion.

BTW: The allusions to astronauts and space made me realize that this Mark Haddon is the author who wrote one of my FAVORITE picture book read-alouds when I do my unit on the Solar System: "The Sea of Tranquility."

It's first person - about the author as a little boy, back in 1969, who is just CONSUMED with the moon and the Apollo space missions. The illustrations - sort of soft blue-shaded watercolors - are by Christian Birmingham, and they are absolutely beautiful. It's a great way to give little ones a connection to space exploration.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2007

Do they talk about the author at all-... does he know someone with autism.... ?

8. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

If I am not mistaken, I believe he used to work with students with disabilities to some extent . . . but I don't have my book on hand to confirm that . . .

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 8, 2007

You are right. I just finished reading and have my book in front of me. Haddon worked with autistic individuals when he was young. He now teaches creative writing.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2007

I thought he had the autistic characteristics dead-on! My nephew is autistic, and the protagonist was like an older version of Matthew! I think he kept it true to life, while at the same time allowing it to be sensitive. I loved it!

11. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

I agree, I worked with 1st grade twins who are on the spectrum(parents will not let them be labeled) and so much of what was written really made sense.

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 8, 2007

I worked with autisics for four or five years when I was young. He is right on target. I loved the logical rationale for every odd thing Christopher did. It makes you think....

13. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

This was a great book and an easy read!! I started this morning at ten and just finished it!! I loved how he kept the story line going but also let you into the brain of an autistic child. It was great!! Honestly I didn't think I would like it but I love it!! Great choice!