Book Club addiction

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by thecottage, Jul 12, 2006.

?

Do you have a book club addiction

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Off to rehab

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 12, 2006

Anyone else have an addiction to Scholastic or other book clubs?

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

I have an addiction to books. Books everywhere! I frequent used book sales, used book stores, book stores, garage sales, thrift stores you name it, I look for books there!

4. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

I cannot turn down a book....I'm terrible! Fortunately, I'm a fast reader. (I will not put a book in my classroom library until i have read it myself.)

Love Scholastic!

5. breneem

breneem Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

Oh yes, and then for my daughters book orders too!! :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2006

I want to save enough points for a lap top- two of my colleagues have done this....

7. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

Guilty!! Can't resist a good book, especially at a bargain price!

I put all my bonus points into...you guessed it!! MORE BOOKS!! :D

8. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 12, 2006

I love the 95 cent book deals!! I also love going to thrift stores. You never know what you might find.

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 12, 2006

Guilty... I adore Scholastic and it hasn't been good for my budget since there is a Scholastic Warehouse here in my town. They have book sales twice a year. Oh well... there's nothing better than seeing my students get excited over a good book.

10. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

Lucky you!! There's not even a Scholastic Warehouse in my state, let alone my town!! ;)

And yes! The 95 cent books...I love using my $10 in free book picks on those!! :)

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2006

Yes, I very much do! It's because they have really great quality items! :)

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2006

WOW! How many points is a laptop???? 1,000,000:confused: I saved for 3 years and didn't even have enough for a pencil sharpener or something small.

13. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

same here!!!:D

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2006

I don't know how many points a lap top is but both teachers took advantage of the 20X points flyers- ordered a couple of hundred dollars worth of books themselves plus what their kiddos ordered to help rack up the points.

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2006

I guess if there are a bunch of kiddos that order each month and you are wise with ordering the points can rack up. Maybe after 10 years? I doubt I'll ever get to that point because I purchased a bunch of listening center books last year with my bonus points. Shows I have a hard time saving.

16. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 14, 2006

I love ordering from Scholastic! I like to save my points and get literature circle sets with them. Also, I can never resist the 95 cents books. My kids get really excited when they see the order forms in their Monday Memo folders.

17. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I'm definitely addicted to ordering from Scholastic. Even though I already have tons of books in my classroom and no where to put all those books, I still keep getting more.

But I just really love buying books in general. For my personal reading, I'll buy books even if I have stacks of books at home that I haven't read yet.

18. appleaday

appleaday Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

Guilty! I have so many books from when I taught about six years ago. Now I'm headed back, probably second grade. And I know that I will start buying them again from Scholastic. I like their prices and yes, the bonus points too! ==>:rolleyes: I wonder if this girl will ever save up enough for a lap top? Prolly not.

19. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 15, 2006

Try Your City/County Library!

The best deals I have found is through my county's library. They have secondhand sales where they have paperbacks for a quarter and hardbacks for fifty cents or one dollar. Then there are days where there are $5 bag days where you get a paper bag and fill it with as many books as possible without ripping the bag, and the half-price days are neat too. The book selection is often awesome but you have to take time to look. I really enjoy these sales, but they have become my addiction and I MADE myself NOT GO to the June sale. It was so hard not to, but I have to quit. Maybe we can have a Book Club Anonymous Support Group - BCASG!

20. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

I rec'd a gife certificate at the end of last year for Border's books, which I still had $15 left on, and this year I rec'd one for $100.00 from the after school program parents - it is only 7/15 and I have a total balance left on it of $22.00! I belong to Literary Guild and also frequent garage sales and now thrift stores, where I found the latest, believe it or not, James Patterson and Nicholas Sparks books for not even $1.00 each!

Still not has bad as one of our retired teachers - she collected enough points from Scholastic to get a mini-fridge for the classroom last year!

21. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2006

Question do you make the bonus point books property of your classroom?

22. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

Right or wrong-:) -I keep them for myself. Many of the points I helped earn by buying (way more than I should!). Also, I feel that I have put a lot of work into the promoting and ordering of the books, plus a great deal of effort into providing a great classroom library for the kids. Many of the books have a very specific purpose in the units and projects that I have developed, and I would not want to have to start over if I moved. Guess that is just how I look at it. :)

23. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2006

I feel the same way, yet for the last 6 months (which is all I did book clubs for) I left the books as property of the classroom because that is what my co-teacher did before me who did the book clubs. Actually, I thought that was what was supposed to happen. Most of the points also come from what I buy---We did manage to get our class 3 new books each with the 15 point bonus books...

24. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

Maybe from now on, you will want to keep them. :) That was very nice of the teacher before you to leave them. Was she switching grade levels or did she just feel they belonged to the class? When I went from Kindergarten to 5th, I donated most of my library to the lower elementary classes, saving just some that I wanted to use to teach story elements or math concepts. :)

I do also use some of my bonus points to purchase books for rewards. One of my Homeworkopoly reward cards is for a free Scholastic book. The students get to choose a $3.95 or less priced book. :)

25. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Honestly, I've never even considered making them property of the classroom. I feel the same way as Jame said, I put in a lot of work to order them so they should be mine. As soon as I get the books, I put my last name on the inside back cover and they become property of me. But also, a lot of times, the bonus point books I get, I use as gifts and rewards to the students, since I already have so many books.

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

I admit I'm an addict. I've admitted it before, but for some reason the 12 step program doesn't work for me. Those that know me know I love to buy books. Either from garage sales, flea markets, Barnes & Noble, Scholastic, etc... I can't walk into a place with books and not buy at least 2. My really bad habit is buying from Scholastic even when the kids don't order. I also get a lot of the $1 or less books for my kids. I put them in a birthday book box that they get to choose from on their birthday. I also give every student a book for Christmas and the end of the year.

27. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

I love to order from Scholastic. I just started last school year. I worked in a fairly poor area so the parents never ordered much, but I ordered more than my share. My students were always so excited when the order came in and we went through the new books.

I am glad I came across this thread, I forgot about my bonus points. Only 600+ but I can buy some books for my classroom which is exciting because I basically have nothing for third grade.

Unfortunately I just tried to order and the site says it will be back in the fall? I'm so sad, I was hoping to have new books for the start of the year. Oh well....:(

28. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 17, 2006

On keeping the books for myself - it all depends on the books! Those I think my class can get use from year after year I will circulate in my classroom library.

29. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 17, 2006

Someone earlier was wondering how many points the laptop was. I found last year's "classroom bonus catalog" and according to it the laptop is 27,950 points.

30. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 17, 2006

umm, well.........guess I better start hitting up dh for a laptop!