Book Categorizing..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by soleil00, Jul 29, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

As I was cleaning out cabinets over my student lockers and I found this....
    [​IMG]

:eek:

I was so overwhelmed that I just stacked them up and left. It took me an hour to get them all out of the cabinet and there is a second table with about a quarter the size of that stack on it.

A colleague stopped by and had the same :eek: look on her face. She suggested that I catalog them (in Excel) after I organize/categorize them.

So, what I need help with is how can I categorize them? Is it easier to do it by author or subject?

I also have to mark their AR (Accelerated Reader) Levels after/before I categorize them. But that's another story altogether.

3. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 29, 2011

http://www.librarything.com/

This is what I use..it's free up to so many books, then it's like 25.00 for a lifetime membership. You can tag your books by author, level ect..

4. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I separate my AR books and group them by AR level. If a kid wants to take an AR test I don't want them to read the book and then find out that there's no test available for it. I also pull out the super-easy picture books and have those available just for my kinders/EL level 1s. The rest I have grouped by genre.

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

That's a good idea.. on top of the ones in the picture I have a whole reading center that I am going to have to mark the AR levels on so I don't have that happen as well.

@Lindsnh
    And this works a lot better/easier than just plugging titles/authors or what not into an Excel spreadsheet? I have well over 50 books that I'll have to catalog, maybe even over 100...

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2011

About 90% of the books in my classroom last year were grouped by F &P level the rest were totally ungrouped. (It was 4th grade so they were chapter books) I came in mid-year and never got around to organizing them.

Ideally this year I'd like to have about 50-60% grouped by F & P and the rest grouped by either subject, genre, author or series depending on the book. (ie there might be a bin of Magic Tree House books or a bin of Matt Christopher books.) This way the students can go to a bin on their level or they can attempt to pick a just right book on their level in a subject that interests them. I hated having too many books leveled last year. The kids got bored with the bins on their level and they didn't know how to properly choose a book that was on their level. I had kids who were at a level M/N coming back from the library with books that were a level U/V. HUGE difference.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2011

I just finished leveling all my books (whew!) by AR level. (AR Bookfinder .com) Now I have to organize and catalog them. I'm debating whether or not to use Excel or LibraryThing. As far as sorting them, I'm still trying to figure that out. I have a ton of Junie B's, Magic Treehouse, Magic School Bus, and Kevin Henkes books, so I think I'll do those as series/author. Then I'll probably pull our non-fiction - mostly animals, for some reason. My problem is that my head starts spinning when I think about sorting by AR level and author/genre and subject matter, etc., and how to keep them sorted that way!

8. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Aug 9, 2011

I use Beth Newingham's system for organizing the books. It works wonders, for me anyway.
    I don't have the money for all the different colored baskets, but I use her labels and split them into the various genres.

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/library organization.htm

I don't typically sort by AR level, though I do have the level marked. I go by interest/genre/etc. If the child wants that type of book, they can find their level in that category.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 9, 2011

I categorize mine by genre, authors-however I think the kids will be able to find them the easiest. Some category examples:

-Pets & Farm Animals
    -Reptiles & Amphibians
    -Science
    -Poetry
    -Fairy Tales, Folktales, & Legends
    -Kevin Henkes & Leo Lionni
    -Eric Carle & Jan Brett
    -Cats & Dogs

10. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I ended up sorting them by AR levels (I have different colored baskets to put them in) for now. I may change it up next year but I feel like I am running out of time and I have a ton of stuff left to do so messing with these books anymore isn't on the top of my list of worries this year anymore! LOL

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2011

When you don't know the reading levels of your kiddos, what books do you put out at the beginning of the year?? I (have tried and) plan to teach the five finger method of choosing books from the library, but it hasn't worked very well so far (our kids don't start until the 18th). I plan to model and practice it a lot this year, though.

Is there something out there (free or very cheap) that I can use as a leveling gauge? Some set of leveled passages or something?

12. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

We were told that all the kids start out on blue level AR books at the beginning and aren't allowed to read a higher level book until we start doing the informal reading assessments to see where they are.

I really don't know how they gauge the kids' levels though, since I'm new that's something I have to find out between now and next week.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2011

What are the colors for the levels?

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

I love librarything.com!
    I have all 3,000+ of my books categorized. I can look up to see if I have a particular book, where in the classroom I keep it, and what skills I teach with the books.