Book Buying--Amazon

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lemonhead, Apr 4, 2008.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 4, 2008

I know "where to buy books" has been brought up before. It has been mentioned to go to Amazon and buy used books there. So I had my list and I was there buying several from one particular seller. (My thought was that I would get the best shipping deal if I bought them all from one seller) As you know you can get used books as cheap as a penny. When I went to check out, it charged me $3.99 shipping per book. I explored this more and found out for every book you buy from book sellers on Amazon, it is $3.99. ( I am not talking buying directly from Amazon- if that makes any sense.)

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way you can get shipping discounts from these sellers on Amazon? I never went through with my order because my books were less than $10 (about 40 of them) and the shipping was $160:eek: I might as well just get new ones through Scholastic.

Lemonhead

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2008

They may have been talking about buying new books through amazon. They usually have some type of sale, and have free shipping if you spend a certain amount.

Does anyone know if half.com still combines shipping if you buy from the same seller? That may help.

I buy a lot of my books from goodwill, half.com, ebay, and half price books.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 4, 2008

I think they do combine. I am looking for specific books like the Brian Cleary grammar series, David A Adler biography series, and many others. I think I'll hit up half.com see if I see anything there.

I just noticed that Amazon does have a subsidiary that sells used books and through that you can get combined shipping and take advantage of free shipping deals but the prices are not as low as the others.

Thank you for your help.

Lemon

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

I have some books to sell- does anyone here do that thorugh half.com or other reputable websites?

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 4, 2008

I've sold several books through ebay.

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

Apr 4, 2008

I sell through half.com I've never had a problem other than the fact that they've now changed it so that you get an email that says "someone baught this book now send it within 2 days" (maybe it's 3). It used to be that you had to accept the purchase and then had so many days to ship it. I forget that I even have books on there because they don't sell right away. So when I go out of town or just don't check my email for a few days, it can be a problem.

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Apr 4, 2008

Also, try paperbackswap.com!!!

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 4, 2008

I usually buy my new books (or ones I know will be expensive) through Amazon. Most of them have the Free Super Shipper Savings (an order of $25 or more is free shipping).

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2008

The reason they can sell for a penny is they make it up on the shipping side. Otherwise, honestly, why would they sell to you at all?

I still find that with the shipping charges small orders are cheaper that way. However, if you've got a bunch to buy buying through Amazon itself might be better for the free shipping.

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2008

BookCloseouts.com
    Powells.com

are two places that I have bookmarked.

12. little317

little317 Groupie

Apr 4, 2008

How well does this work for you? I have a good amount of books that are way above my kid's reading level and I would like to exchange for others more on their level. Does this exchange thing save you a lot of money?

13. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Apr 4, 2008

The problem with buying used books on Amazon is that they are all through different sellers (not Amazon itself). So, if you buy 5 books from 5 different sellers, each seller is charging shipping (one from NY, one from PA, etc.).

I would imagine individual dealers will give shipping discounts if you buy more than one book from him/her.

Amazon itself, of course, charges by order, not by book.

Does that make sense?

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2008

It does on some pages say save on shipping, buy more from this seller. I have seen it. Maybe it is only certain sellers?

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 5, 2008

I made a mistake my first year teaching buying a class set of books on Amazon from the used sellers. I tried to pay a penny each! But like you, the shipping cost a lot. I now get the 99 cent books from Scholastic or I use my scholastic points and get book sets for free. I will not buy multiple copies of books from Amazon again. Maybe I will start buying from teachers on e-bay, because they have the sets already and would only charge shipping on the set.

16. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 5, 2008

Yes it makes sense and I found out that it doesn't matter how many you by from one used seller at Amazon, there are no discounts. It is still 3.99 per book. Falls under the too good to be true theory.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 5, 2008

There are some used sellers that are subsidiaries of Amazon, those are the ones that give you the discount but of course the book prices are higher.

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 6, 2008

Sometimes, in the long run, it's cheaper to buy new from Amazon and not used sellers. Amazon (the site itself) will give discounts, and often free shipping.