Book Boxes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by natelukesmom, Jul 16, 2009.

1. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Does anyone use book boxes like suggested in the Daily 5? If so, how do you set them up, and what do you teach the children as far as how to use them? Thanks! :D

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

In the same boat as you are. This will be my first year trying the book boxes out. Actually I don't have the boxes and I am not about to go buy more. Last year my mom was so sweet and made me seat sacks. I think I'll use those instead.

During the first week I plan on putting some of our old readers from the previous reading series, some Reading A-Z printed books and a Dr. Seuss book in each sack. Then once I assess where each child is I'll start helping them pick leveled books.

4. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 18, 2009

little317:
    It sounds like you have a good plan. During the Daily 5 will you only allow them to use books out of their book boxes? Also, how will you manage when the need to change out their books? Thanks!

5. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 18, 2009

I'm still not sure yet.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2009

Well, I haven't done it, and I don't have many boxes to do it. Perhaps those large durable plastic bags with the handles could be helpful. I am curious to see what others have done as well.

Beth Newingham has her explanation of them- http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/Book Boxes.htm- I do have 10 of those Target book boxes, but that's not enough for 25 kids- and I don't know where I would store them, either.

7. hetrasam

hetrasam New Member

Jul 19, 2009

Hi,
    I used the cloth grocery bags ($1.00 each) last year. They worked perfectly. I only had to replace 2 all year. The children kept them on the back of their chairs. The handles are just short enough so that the bags didn't drag on the floor.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2009

Hetrasam, my chairs are rounded at the top. I wonder if this would still work or not.

9. hetrasam

hetrasam New Member

Jul 19, 2009

My chairs are rounded as well. The bag went over the the back and hung from the seat portion.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2009

Nice! Consider it borrowed!

11. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jul 19, 2009

I started the Daily 5 toward the end of the year this year and I still don't have it perfected. I bought the book/magazine boxes from Lakeshore. At first, I had them all in one central location in the room. The problem was, it took alot of time for students to go get them and put them away. Plus, it took up too much room in my teeny tiny classroom.

I now have students keep the boxes on their desk. They just keep them in the corner of their desk and move them to the floor if they are doing a partner/group activity or anything else that requires more work space. At first they really got in the way. Now the students are used to them and it is working fine.

As far as changing out books.... in the morning my students have always had a routine 1) unpack 2) job if they have one 3) write homework in agenda 4) morning work. This has always given me enough time to check homework and do other clerical tasks. I just incorportated "change book box" as number 4 and moved morning work back to #5. I don't have everyone change in one day. I have about 6 student numbers on the board each day or every other day. For example # 1-6 change your book box. This has worked very well.

As far as what I taught them... I used lessons right out of the Daily 5 book. I did the right fit lesson using shoes as the example of how to choose a book that fits you. Like I said above, I'm still perfecting things with this class and I will be alot more thorough with next years class; but I was surprised at how easy the book boxes were to implement.

12. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 19, 2009

That sounds like a great idea! So you bought them at the grocery store? I don't know if I've ever seen them at mine. I'm going to check it out.

13. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 19, 2009

year_round_teach:

Thank you for your explination. That sounds like a great idea for when they come in the morning. Right now my schedule is:
    1. Put supplies away
    2. Turn in any papers
    3. Start Morning Work.

Maybe I'll move morning work to #4, and have book boxes at #3. I also like that you only had a few getting new books at a time. I'm sure that helps with congestion & talking/playing. Thanks!

14. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 19, 2009

For those of you who dont have book boxes and want to use them....go to IKEA...they sell cardboard magazine racks that can be used for book boxes. they are 1.99 for a set of 5. They are white and i will allow the kids to decorate it themselves.

I have never used book boxes before but do like the idea...I might try it this year. but I will use the magazine holders from IKEA!