Book bins under chairs?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by amakaye, Jul 25, 2009.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2009

Has anyone ever tried having students keep book bins under their chairs? I would like to use them, but don't have a shelf to store them on (and I like the idea of them having their book at their desk). I was thinking dish pans from the dollar store would work well, and then they could keep their reading journal and org. binder in them too. Thoughts, tips, or suggestions? Problems I'm not thinking of?:wow:

3. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

What about the fabric over-chair book holders? They slide on the back of the chair, and the books go into a pocket in the fabric. That way the books and things are not on the floor when custodians come in, they're not getting kicked around, etc.

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 25, 2009

Dusty?

Would the under the chair storage tub get full of dust, dirt, and other things besides the books and binders? I have seen several picutures of the over the chair pouches and I think they are really cute and would limit putting "extras" in there, helping students stay more organized.

5. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I bought fabric type bags to hang over the back of my students desks this year. We'll see how well it works, I've never tried it before.

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 25, 2009

I'm assuming your chairs don't move and are attached to the desks right? It sounds like it would work for me. I would worry about the dirt and the bins becoming a dumping ground for all the kids trash! But a weekly clean out would solve that. Sounds like a good space saver to me!

7. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I agree, over the chair containers might be best. I've always found that anything underfoot, no matter what it is, will be a distraction. And if purchasing the chair things is out of the question, what about finding some cheap fabric and making them? You don't even need to be handy with a sewing machine - some hot glue or that iron-on seeming tape would probably work.

8. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

I'M DOING THIS THIS YEAR!!! i'm so excited about it too. last year i had them put their loose books under their chair and it was a HUGE mess! so i got the $ store tubs (you can buy bulk online and get delivered to a nearby store for free shipping). i was thinking i would just have them stack them in front of the room, on top of their stacked chair pile or just leave them on top of their desks. i haven't decided. i think i'll let them be the judge of that...although i DO like to have their desks cleared at the end of the day. hm...

i also made the chair bags last year using pillow cases. they worked perfectly and all i had to do was fold it to make 3 pockets and sew two straight lines down each side to make them fit the chair. i used them for their library books (the school library and my library) so the books wouldn't get damaged in their desks. i'm going to do it again this year. it's cheaper than buying the ones online...i asked my students to bring in pillow cases and then i had a parent donate about 75 of them that she got from a hospital. they were awesome! totally doing it again.

anyway...sorry i rambled, i was just excited that someone thought of the tubs too!

9. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

oh...also...the over the chair bags rip occassionally, so why buy them! use pillow cases...MUCH cheaper! just a thought. :)

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 25, 2009

Book bins under their chairs would drive me nuts! I would trip over them, the kids would trip over them, the room would look messy. I am very clumsy and so are my kids.

How about book bins with a name tag on them, stacked against the wall? You could have 5-6 bins stacked on top of each other. This would limit how much they kept there.

Pillowcases sound like the way to go. But I am having a hard time picturing how you made them.

11. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

I use dish pans, and they work great. They have nice sturdy black ones at the Dollar Tree. We clean them every week, and place them on top of the desks at the end of everyday to try and keep them clean.

12. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

I did not have a problem with me or the students tripping over them. We modeled how they were to keep the pans undernearth their desk and no one else's. They also did not get in the way of the students' feet either. I'm a total neat freak, so I know what you mean, but they never looked messy either. I always received compliments about them. Another teacher on my team even went out to get some for her students.

13. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

model model model! if you want something done a certain way...this is the only way to do it. and if you only have so much room in each desk...a tub will solve it! i'm so excited about getting mine! :)

14. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

The desks will only hold so much. The pans work perfectly. They are only allowed to have their 5 spiral notebooks, their math, reading, and science practice books, and their morning work folder inside the pans. My desk manager checks periodically to make sure they don't use the pans as a trash can.

15. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

I love seat sacks. I think the books are more out of the way there.

16. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 25, 2009

Pillow cases for chair back covers? Hmmmmm, this sounds like a great idea!

A teacher that retired gave me the jean chairs covers that she had made over ten years ago and they are still in great shape. Only problem is, class sizes are much larger now. So I have been on the hunt for more (not much at sewing from scratch). I think I can fix pillow cases though.... fold them up, sew the sides, wa-la! New project time :).

17. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 25, 2009

If all I had to store was books, I'd probably try seat sacks, but I don't think they'd hold all of the extra stuff. Plus I don't even allow backpacks on the backs of chairs. The falling on the floor all the time drives me crazy.

18. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 25, 2009

My students used Milk crates under their desks and they worked really well. They learned how to keep them in their place after much work. Each student bought their own and the ones who didn't want to keep them left them for me.

19. mrs.sprague

mrs.sprague New Member

Jul 25, 2009

Chair sacks

Do you by chance have a picture of the over the chair sacks that you could post or e-mail. I would love to use these in my room but don't completely understand how you made them. Thanks!

20. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

sorry i don't have a picture. all i did was start to turn it inside out but only went half way so the opening touched the closed end. then i sewed the sides so it fit on the chair more snuggly and wouldn't fall off of it. just grab a pillowcase and try different ways of doing it. there really is no one way. you just need a pouch for the kids to use and a pouch to go over the chair.

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

I teach with someone who does book bins under chairs- they are soooooo gross! Constantly dusty- people tripping over them. Blech!

I am thankful I have lockers!

22. lovetoshop

lovetoshop Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

I work with another teacher that has chair pouches (the chair sacks). They work wonderfully. I am making my own this year to use. I'm very excited! Good luck!

23. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 26, 2009

i have lockers too. but the problem with those is that we have to stop class and go back and get the supplies we need. i HATE doing that....HUGE time waster. so if i tell them to get their supplies at the beginning of the day and put them in their tub then they have it. i MIGHT have them put the tub on their chair when we leave the room. hm...just thought of that! then i'll have my "top dog" clean the tubs with a buddy once a week. anyway...just my opinion. :)

24. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

I like putting the bucket on the chair when they leave the room. I may have my students do this. We stack our chairs at the end of the day so that the custodians have better access to the floors, but we could definitely put them on the chairs when we leave for lunch, special, etc. Great Idea.

25. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I have broken down my day into three locker breaks...
    1. When school starts, students are directed to get xyz at their lockers, and know they can not go back until lunch.
    2. Lunch time, students trade out books for the afternoon and get lunches
    3. End of the day, students get ready to go home.

It has always worked for me.

26. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks for all the input! I was talking to my mom and she had a bunch of lightweight denim fabric, so we're going to work on making some pockets today. It's an even better deal, because they're free :)

27. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

yay! every teacher likes free! have fun!

also, shasha...that's what i meant about the bins on the chairs...when we leave the room but are coming back they will put them on their chairs. then at the end of the day when we stack they can stack the bins on top of the chairs. :) anyway...so glad you liked the idea...i did too...after it came to me! :)

28. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 27, 2009

I can see the tubs would work in the upper grades. In first grade, my kids trip over paper, their own chairs, their own feet! Last year I had a student, seated on the carpet, fall over and almost break her nose! From a sitting position!

They leave pencils, books, hair clips, markers, even their own shoes scattered around. It is like a mine field for me as my doctor has told me "No more falls for you!" haha! We are constantly taking 2 minutes so everyone can pick up 10 things and put them where they belong. Sigh. Funny first graders.

They even fall on the floor from their own seats, with no provocation - and it is not intentional (usually). So tubs on the floor could be suicide for me.:eek:

My kids do have book baskets that we keep on a shelf. But if you do not have shelf space, you do have to be creative.

I will be spending a couple weeks with my very talented, sewing, first grade teacher - sister!- later in the summer. Maybe we will whip up some over the chair pouches. I'm thinking it would be nice to have a way to tie them to the chairs. hmmm. . . :thumb: