Book Baskets

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by idealteacher, Jul 14, 2007.

1. idealteacher

idealteacher New Member

Jul 14, 2007

Would anyone know a good place to purchase plastic book baskets to be used in organizing a classroom library?

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

Dollar store, Big Al's (or any discount store that has odds and ends), sometimes Big Lots has them as does Family Dollar. Any of those stores that have the discounted stuff. Really Good Stuff has them (but they are much more expensive).

4. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I bought mine at Target. They weren't as cheap as Dollar Tree or Big Lots, but I scoured those stores for a while around here and never found them. :( And I kept an eye out for Target sales and bought a bunch of them then.

5. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I bought mine at Wal-Mart. They are actually the red dishpans and were only about $1.50 each. When I got the books in them and put them on the shelfs, they really looked cute.

6. 2ndGrade

2ndGrade New Member

Jul 14, 2007

Dimensions on Boxes?

I went to the Dollar Store and bought some boxes for a $1 each. However, I was wondering what are the dimensions of the boxes you buy to store your classroom library books.

Thanks!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2007

I'm going to put out specific book baskets and change them up every week or so. The rest of the books will just be on the shelves. I'll have author baskets, or theme baskets, etc. I the smallish cheap plastic ones from Dollar General, 2/$1. Some of the baskets will have to face sideways for wider books and picture books.

8. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I like to use Rubbermaid (or similar) white plastic dish pans for my book bins. They are cheap, you can find them pretty much anywhere, and they are really sturdy. In fact I use them for a lot of different things. When I taught preschool, I labeled one "weekly supplies" and I used to put items that were specific to the upcoming week's lessons inside (i.e. if we were fingerpainting I put paint and paper in the bin, if we were using counting bears I put those in the bin, etc..) so they would all be in one place for me to easily grab. At the end of the week I put everything back in its respective place and restocked for the next week. This also made it really easy if there was a sub coming in, she would not have to search everywhere in my room to find things. In fact, I plan on doing that this year too when I start teaching 3rd grade.

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I bought dish tub buckets from Target for $1.99. This is the cheapest I've been able to find them for the size I wanted.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 21, 2007

I was going to say go with the dish pans too :) They are cheaper than other types of bins and sturdier. They are also wide enough to put picture books in them without turning them sideways. I bought mine at a dollar store.

11. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I bought mine at Big Lots. There are three sizes - small is perfect for paperback chapter books and medium is perfect for non-fiction or picture books. I think the small bins were $1.25 and the medium bins were $1.50. They are Sterlite brand, quite sturdy, white with little handles.