Book Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsTeacher98, Nov 28, 2008.

1. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Nov 28, 2008

Hello and Happy Holidays!

I'm looking for some advice on a book gift idea for my niece. (I always get one book for each kid in addition to their other gift- so it can be small).

She is a in 3rd grade but reading "above grade level" according to my brother. I'm not sure what her actual reading level is, but I do know she receives Gifted services for LA. Anyway, she wants the Harry Potter series, by my brother thinks she is not quite ready for that yet. I'd get her Goosebumps, but she has read most if not all of them already.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!!

Lisa

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Nov 28, 2008

maybe a mystery series, like Encyclopedia Brown or Boxcar Children

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2008

Does she enjoy any favorite shows (Hannah Montana, etc...), groups (Jonas Brothers, etc...), hobbies (cooking, artsy projects?). I'd go for something like that.

I purchased 2 cookbooks for my 2 nieces. I know they're going to love them!

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 29, 2008

How about a classic like the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, or the Secret Garden? Other ideas are any Klutz books that come with crafting materials, Katie Kazoo books, or Rachel Ray's kids' cookbook or a cupcake cookbook....have fun!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 29, 2008

The Tale of Desperaux is an awesome book and is coming out as a movie on 12/19. I am not sure all third graders could read it independently, but if she is above grade level it would be a great book! Also, the first Harry Potter book is not that difficult of a read. The books got longer and more complex as the series went along.

7. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 29, 2008

My 4th grade students love the Magic Tree House books, the American Girl books, and the A to Z Mystery books.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 29, 2008

Lots of great suggestions up there! :) How about the Series of Unfortunate Events? At her age I was in love with the Hardy Boys and Trixie Belden, does she like mysteries? If she is a high enough level, the Among the Hidden series is amazing, but it does have some tough stuff in it. (http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Children-Boxed-Set-Impostors/dp/0689033672)

9. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Nov 29, 2008

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Its so funny because I absolutely love to read and love to pick out books. There were actually TONS of books I wanted to pick, but just felt like I wouldn't be able to pick out the right one. I've decided to go with the Series of Unfortunate Events and include a gift receipt!

Thanks again!

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 29, 2008

My favorite books when I was a girl were the Nancy Drew series....

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 30, 2008

That's a wonderful choice! I LOVE the Series of Unfortunate Events books!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 30, 2008

Me too.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 30, 2008

The Invention of Hugo Cabret was last year's Caldecott winner. It's perfect, that's what I'm buying for nieces & nephews this year. It's a thick book about half pictures/half script. It's all black and white, a great story, and fast read.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 1, 2008

How about some of the Dear America books? They are written at about 4-5 grade level and are very interesting. I'm sure you could find a period of history that would interest her.