Body in public pool for days...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jul 1, 2011.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2011

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2011

Oh, apparently the people she came just left after not finding her. :confused:

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2011

Eek. So disturbing.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 1, 2011

This bothers me on so many levels.

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

Oh. That's awful. I hope someone is protecting that 9 year old from the truth of the accident. That would be a heavy burden. I can't imagine why the women's disappearance didn't sound alarms with family and friends.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2011

This is a really weird, sad, and disturbing case. :( I just can't believe it not only took them that long to find the body, but that people continued swimming in the pool, not knowing that there was a dead body just beneath them. Ugh...

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

Wow, this is awful.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 1, 2011

It would have been strange enough if a person went missing unreported for several days...but the fact that people were swimming in that pool just sends shivers down my spine.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 1, 2011

That is so disturbing. My niece (who is a lifeguard) can't believe that they didn't check the pool each evening and each morning.

11. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

How does this even happen? Seriously?! That is so sad and disturbing... Makes me nervous about swimming in public pools... :/

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2011

My, my! The employees involved NEEDED to be put on leave, so it's good they were. This definitely shows the lack of dilligence in people doing their jobs. I find it very strange that the family she came w/ didn't seek her out, but who really knows what happened there.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 1, 2011

This just sounds like an urban legend. Our public pool is 12 feet deep, but if it was so "cloudy" that you couldn't see the bottom, we wouldn't go. That's just gross!

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 1, 2011

Ummm... This just seems that it is a little too unreal. But I guess that it happened.

15. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

That is CRAZY, on so many levels.

Why was the pool so "cloudy"? Why would you swim in a cloudy pool? How exactly did going down the slide kill her? Why would you go to the pool with someone and not leave with them?

My niece, too, was a lifeguard, and they had to check all the pools and rides at the end of each shift.

I'm glad that some people have been relieved of their jobs after this -- and glad to hear that so many people are investigating.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2011

Prosecutors: Fall River pool was so murky a diver could not be seen 4 feet down
    E-mail| Print | Comments (4) July 1, 2011 5:23 PM
    By Martin Finucane, Globe Staff

A state-run pool in Fall River where a woman drowned and apparently went unnoticed for two days was so murky Wednesday that a police diver in the deep end could not be seen at a depth of 3 1/2 to 4 feet, prosecutors said today.

“The investigation thus far establishes that the water in the pool was murky and cloudy from the time the pool opened for the season on Saturday, June 25h until the pool was closed by the pool staff on Tuesday afternoon, June 28th,” Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter’s office said in a statement.

The body of Marie Joseph, 36, was found in the pool Tuesday night. She had died of “asphyxiation by drowning” on Sunday afternoon, according to the preliminary investigatio, prosecutors said.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 1, 2011

Yuck! We swim in the lake, and I can see my feet, 5 feet down. In a pool??? Can you imagine sending your kids there???

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2011

A little off topic, but I think public pools are one of the most disgusting places. I don't swim, so I'm glad I don't have to worry about it. Never been to a water park like Raging Waters either.

19. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 1, 2011

Wouldn't she have taken stuff and had it at a table or chair somewhere? No one wondered about the stuff?

The whole thing is so sad and scary! Nobody in that pool notcied anything. No one saw her under the water? If it was that cloudy, shouldn't it have been closed?

20. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 1, 2011

soo distrubing and really gross too

21. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 1, 2011

Wow. So sad that she died and just baffling that 1- the people she came with didn't notice or care, and 2- that a pool that cloudy was open for public use.

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 1, 2011

Our pool is beautiful, blue and you can see straight to the bottom of the 11 feet. I would NEVER get into a pool that was even a little cloudy. That is just yucky, and obviously UNSAFE!

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 1, 2011

One thing to note: Cloudy does not always mean unsafe. A freshly filled pool can be cloudy for quite some time if there are enough sediments in the water supply (think hard water). The sediments eventually filter out, but it can take a very long time in larger pools. The sediments in no way make the pool unsafe.

That said, I don't think the whole truth is anywhere near out yet. There's a lot of pieces that just don't add up.

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2011

Thanks for update. I really can't get over the sadness of this story and now, apparently, the complete and total inaction of adults.

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2011

I'm glad I reread the article. . .I thought that the boy was with the woman who died. It's so hard to believe that he reported it & no one took him seriously.

Makes you wonder what we don't know.

27. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 5, 2011

Could you imagine telling someone you are "on break" after they told you someone's life is in danger?! This story is only more distrurbing after the second article. That poor boy :( and how sad...a mother of five.

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2011

I have a few thoughts.

1. The "I am on break" thing doesn't surprise me. My cousin manages a public pool and water park and the stories she tells me about some of the kids she hires for life guards are shocking. They are teens, and some of them are ridiculously irresponsible. Of course, when she senses even a little irresponsibility, she lets them go. She runs a tight ship.

2. Public pools are disgusting. My cousin also tells me that they have to close the pool at least once a day because someone pooed or vomited in it. The sediment might not chemically be a problem, but it creates a dangerous situation when you have a packed pool and you can't see beyond the surface of the water.

3. I wondered why this 9 yr old boy didn't tell HIS mom about what happened, or whatever adult he was with, and this makes me speculate that, like so many parents, mom dropped him off at the pool - cheap day care - and left him for the day. If the lifeguards didn't also have to babysit all day, things like this might happen (again, just speculating here, but I bet it happens).

29. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 5, 2011

Well the second article did answer a few questions.

How very sad for that little boy -- he tried to do the right thing and the people who should have been responsible let him (and the lady) down horribly.

It *does* sound like maybe his mom wasn't there, or he would have told her. How sad for the victim's family - her 5 children are without a mom now. :(