Boardmaker ideas

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by RJN, Aug 13, 2007.

1. RJN

RJN Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I know many of you use Boardmaker in your classrooms. I would love to hear what you use it for other than the schedules.

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 13, 2007

I make bingo games with it.

I also make class books with it.

I have one of the newer mac versions so I can import photos into it and then I do a lot from there.

4. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

Weather

Sequencing: we will read a story aloud, and I use the Boardmaker pics (and also often objects) as supports while reading. When we finish, I have prepared Boardmaker representations of the events in the story, and have the kids put them in order to review it. I also have done this to adapt longer books, by chapter.

Rebus: I have a student learning to ID pictures, and I'll make him a short rebus story so I read the words, he reads the pictures, or have someone write him a rebus letter using boardmaker pics. Also, I've had him do "mad libs" with peers, where they fill in the blanks using boardmaker pics.

Vocabulary--our unit vocab usually includes 12 boardmaker pics per unit. We do matching, "memory," identification, object/picture association, action/picture association

Listening comprehension--for non-verbal students, to answer questions about a story that has been read aloud to them

Adapting books--for beginning beginning readers--contac paper the boardmaker pics to the pages to simplify the text, so that a student can "read" the book more independently

Choice-making

Ordering lunch in the cafeteria line

When we make cards for people

Labelling things in the room

**I have pocket charts on 2 of the doors in my room, with rows of boardmaker pictures that are laminated and velcroed--one door is nouns, the other is verbs and adjectives. When I am doing a story or activity requiring picture supports, often the pictures I need are ones I have already printed and so I can just go to the door and pull them out for the activity. (The challenge of course is keeping the kids from just pulling them all out all the time and not putting them back).

5. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 13, 2007

Social stories, books, bingo, school menu choices, schedules, and choice making in general is what I use it for.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2007

I use it a lot for communication. My kiddos have communication boards that are tailored to their needs and ability levels. Some are completely picture based, where some contain words and pictures - all different sizes to meet their needs.

We also use it for Work Systems because my class follows the Structured Teaching Model. Different work systems contain different symbols, allowing the students to work independently.

There's also a newspaper that we receive once a week that is "visual." It uses a lot of the boardmaker symbols to help describe current events! It's so great. It also has activities for the kids to complete - a beginning, medium, and hard level sheet comes with each newspaper.

I keep a "QUIET" and a "WAIT" symbol (poster size) in our "calm down corner" (time out) area of the room. These are often referred to when a student is having a difficult time following the rules. Each student also has a "HELP" icon on their desk that they can point to if they are needing assistance with a task or getting something they want.

I like to label a lot of things in my classroom with the symbols as well - because these are symbols that a lot of the kids are familiar with and have been seeing since PPCD (3 years old). I pair the words with the pictures and I really think it's a great literacy bridge for them (even those who do not yet read).

I love boardmaker!

7. SpecialTeacher

SpecialTeacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

I use Boardmaker all the time. My kids are really low so I use it for just about everything. I make templates for my TechTalk and use that for all sorts of stuff, from choice making, attendance, and functional academic stuff. I also use it for things like making posters for the classroom and such. I never thought of bingo though, brilliant!

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 19, 2007

Not sure if it's on here... but I did some vocab-building/matching activities with Boardmaker symbols and board books. Especially the REALLY simple board books that simply label a picture on each page... I put Velcro next to the picture, and printed a Boardmaker symbol that corresponds. The kids had to match the picture to the book's picture on each page. My kids LOVED this one.

My mom's taking it a step further since she borrowed my books and had a good response with some of her kiddos... so they're doing a reading comprehension activity where they come up with questions on different stories and the kids can use Boardmaker symbols to choose an appropriate answer.

I used a lot of Boardmaker pictures for sorting activities... boys and girls, animals and plants, items that go in particular rooms, etc. I also imported my kid's pictures and those of their family members, and I'd use them for a variety of activities.