Boardmaker Activity Pad

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2008

Has anyone used one of these? I am thinking of buying one for my classroom (lower functioning autism class in an autism school).

I think this would be a great way to supplement my lessons with voice output (half my kids are minimally verbal and half my kids use PECS).

I LOVE using switches, communication devices, etc. and integrating them into lessons. From what I've read, I can have multiple lessons on the Activity Pad and can interchange the the little slip covers to switch from one lesson to another. This means I could plan out stuff on Monday and have it ready for the week.

Would just like to hear of any experiences, opinions, etc. of those who have used one.

Thanks!

http://www.mayer-johnson.com/ProdDesc.aspx?SKU=F0MJ190

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Dec 9, 2008

A teacher was telling today how much she loved boardmaker. I have never heard of it before. I know you need a Mac to use it but I still don't know what it is.

4. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Dec 9, 2008

Boardmarker is the number one used program for kids with severe speech disabilties and Autism. (generally used as pecs.) However, it is not only a Mac program. There are different versions. I love Boardmaker and used it last year, but my current classroom does not have it. I have Writing w/ Symbols, also a mayer product. It works very well for students with less severe disabilities that still may need a pic schedule. However, this program is only offered for PC's.

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Dec 10, 2008

So if I taught in a general ed setting with children who did not have autism or speech disabilities then it would not be helpful for me to get it?

6. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Dec 11, 2008

I don't have the Boardmaker Activity Pad, but I do use Boardmaker Speaking Dynamically Pro and create interactive boards for my students. I'm just a beginner with the interactive part of the BM, but quite advanced on the basic part of it.
    BM is a great tool!

Try googling Boardmaker activities, you can find some websites. There is a Boardmaker group on Google and on Yahoo that you can join.
    There is also Advanced Learning where people share Boardmaker activities.

MsBee, I believe that BM was developed specifically for students with disabilities, so you don't really need it for general ed students.

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Dec 11, 2008

Does this Activity pad come as a pack of several pads or is it just one activity pad (as shown in the link)? It seems really pricey.

8. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Dec 12, 2008

I think that using these systems are good for primary grades even if you are not working with Autistism

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2008

I agree. I had many regular ed teachers come to me to see if I could help them with rule cards for their classroom, word wall cards, reminder cards for students, visual schedules for kids with behavior troubles, sticker charts, etc. If I ever teach regular ed, I will definitely use Boardmaker in my classroom.

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2009

Just wanted to bump this thread, as I got a pamphlet in the mail about how the price dropped on this. Mayer-Johnson might have realized that it was a little bit out of the price range for most teachers/educators/SLPs.

Still wondering if anyone has had experience with one of these. It looks like such a neat tool. I use Boardmaker for nearly everything we do in the classroom and would love to supplement the activities with voice output.

I can imagine several activities that we do on a weekly basis that would benefit from having this type of interactive device.

Would love to hear of anyone's experiences with the Boardmaker Activity Pad (which is now $599 instead of $899....)