Board Games

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maryhf, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2014

We have always enjoyed board games in our family. Now that my boys are in their 20s, I'm pleased that we can still enjoy that together. My youngest brought a game called Avalon home to play. We will definitely play Settlers of Catan. When they were little, we played the classics like Monopoly, Pictionary, Scrabble,but our favorite was Double Crossing (about trains).
    Do you play games? What are the family favorites?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 26, 2014

We play at the holidays. We usually play Harry Potter scene it, so this year we got a new trivia game The Best of TV & Movies. It was fun!

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 26, 2014

I like to play board games, but I don't have anybody around me who likes to play :(

I'm a big fan of Sid Meier's Civilization, Age of Mythology, and Axis and Allies. Settlers of Catan is fun, too.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2014

My parents & I played Scrabble & checkers when I was a child & young teen & back when I was a child, we played the games I loved, such as Candyland, Sorry, Life, etc.

Unfortunately, we didn't really play board games when I was an adult. I think board games & puzzles are nice.

6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Dec 26, 2014

For a long time our go-to was Blokus because it's easy for all ages to grasp but still requires some thinking and planning to play well. For the last year or so we've been into Ticket to Ride pretty hardcore. It takes a little more time to get the hang of but still isn't super complicated - I'd say by the end of one game everyone's got it - and it's super fun. It kind of hits that sweet spot between easy to play/requires some thought to play well.

Edited to add: I took Ticket to Ride to summer school a few times this past year and played it with my grades 3-5 boys and they loved it and would beg to play.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 26, 2014

Why not begin again with your mother. i am sure you are visiting most days to give your mother a hand with your father since the health aide will be stopping in January as you stated in an earlier post. Play near your dad in the hopes he may watch. When you're with your fiancé get him to play.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 26, 2014

True janlee. When I was a child, my mom ordered like 100 more Scrabble, wooden letter tiles, so we can make some nice, LONG words because the ones that came w/ the game just weren't enough. Unless my mom got rid of the game, it should still be in this closet at my parents'.

But, it would be nice to find a board game we really enjoy in addition to the Scrabble & checkers.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 26, 2014

If you like word games, Upwords is a great one--my mother-in-law and sister-in-law play for hours!

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2014

We play card games...like Phase 10 or skip bo. Used to play with gparents & parents!

We have a few different scene its. I saw my cousin( in high school) playing headbandz... we have a couple of those...they are really fun!

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2014

Last year I had a girls only Valentines party and played board games and ate supper at my house. We like Heads Up and Cards Against Humanity. Also played Yahtzee, Scattergiries, and Cranium.

I have lots of classic games in my classroom.

I am an only child, so I really didn't play games thst much. I like them, though.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 26, 2014

We're fans of Settlers of Catan as well. Blockus, Apples to Apples, Quirkle, and card games like Uno and 5 Alive are fun too.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 26, 2014

I buy a game for our family each year. I grew up with board games and my nieces and nephew love them, too. This year I bought Who What Where and we loved it. It's a drawing game and you end up drawing ridiculous things like Darth Vador bobbing for apples at Mt. Rushmore. I actually had to draw that. We laughed until we cried over the pictures! My dad liked it because it's not timed like pictionary, everyone draws at once. http://www.amazon.com/Who-What-Wher...qid=1419628900&sr=1-1&keywords=who+what+where

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 26, 2014

When our cousins get together we play Race solitaire, spoons, and left right middle.

With my tween sons it's Apples to Apples, scattergories, Yahtzee, or UNO.

My husband and I play cribbage on days we only have time to see each other in passing.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 27, 2014

My hubby and I are board game enthusiasts. We own over 100, play several times a week, and travel to board game conventions.

Some of our favorites right now are Sanssouci, the Marvel deck builder, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Castles of Mad King Ludwig (hubby got it for Christmas, and we can't wait to get it to the table) and Dixit. We play pretty much anything, though.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2014

Race solitaire????

WE played something like that at bball camps...we called it peanuts!

Oh we play card game called golf!

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2014

It's probably the same thing.
    Everyone plays solitaire but anyone can put cards above onto any ace pile.
    If it's the same game, peanuts is a much better name.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 27, 2014

Thanks!

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2014

Kind of...You set it up like solitaire, but first card will have a pile underneath...you can pick the number of cards. Play solitaire can play off each other aces. Goal is to get rid of pile first then you yell peanuts. Can keep score as well!!!

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 27, 2014

My sister has the new Clue game and Telestrations (it's like pictionary but it's much funnier to play). I just got A Christmas Story Monopoly game and I want to play it tonight!

21. Classroomgames

Classroomgames New Member

Apr 1, 2015

Classroom games?

Do you know of any card games or board games that are specifically for the classroom?

22. Classroomgames

Classroomgames New Member

Apr 1, 2015

Does anyone know of any board or card games that are specific to the classroom environment?

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 1, 2015

There is a system called Leap Frog Games that lets each student play with their own deck of questions, so children working at different levels can play together.

24. teachingfun1

teachingfun1 New Member

Apr 1, 2015

monopoly

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2015