Board Covering Dilema

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iteachbx, Aug 15, 2012.

1. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

Board Covering Dilemma

So I don't use the chalkboard in my classroom. It takes up an entire wall and it's on the opposite side of the room from my rug. It's also been destroyed by being painted over multiple times with magnetic paint (some of which is light blue) and it's really, really ugly.

Last year I covered it with bulletin board paper. It was incredibly difficult to do on my own (my co-teacher wasn't hired yet) and I had to use carpet tape because the previous teacher in the room said their stuff kept falling down. It stayed for the entire year, not perfectly, but it stayed. I used it for my science and social studies classwork and word walks and then another part was used for the calendar, daily objectives, flow of the day. (Thinking of maybe squeezing the job chart there this year too, we'll see what fits.)

The main problem last year was hanging up students' work. We put construction paper up that we kept up all year with tape. I tried to hang their work with magnets so that I didn't rip the paper when I changed the work, but the magnets never actually stuck to the so-called magnetic board and magnetic tape wasn't strong enough. So we just taped everything up and then had to be really careful when we took it down so as not to rip the bulletin board paper.

I can't decide what to do with it this year.

1. Do the same thing, hope that it will look better with both my co-teacher and I working together to hang it. Possibly use clothes pins attached to the paper to hang their work? (Not sure if the bulletin board paper will rip due to the weight of the clothes pins?)

2. Cover it with contact paper. I'm really worried that it will be see through with a black board behind it or we'll do a lousy job of hanging it and there will be tons of air bubbles.

3. Fabric? Not sure how expensive this would be, and whether or not clothes pins could be maybe hot glued to this to hang work?

4. Corkboard- not sure how I'd actually attach this and whether or not it would stay? (Or where I'd buy it)

5. I'm open to suggestions!!! Thanks!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 15, 2012

Have you considered Stikki Clips? I used those for a similar purpose once.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2012

Fabric...'glue' it to the board with liquid starch...put the Abril in a bucket of the starch...use a wallpaper brush to smooth out bubbles as you ang...end of year you can pull it off, put thru washing machine...maybe you could use straight pins to hang lightweight work...

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2012

I like using fabric. Masking tape holds paper on the board and the fabric of course won't tear when removing them.
    You could use more than one pattern or color of fabric, dividing your board into desired sections. Fabric can be found relatively cheap on sale or look in thrift shops. You can be creative with your ideas. Colorful bed sheets would work.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2012

I use paper, but I use double sided duct tape to attach it. I have left the same paper and border up for 3 years because it is such a pain to remove and replace. I am extremely careful when I put things up. I usually use Handi-Tak stuff.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 15, 2012

I love felt! Black felt would make everything on it "pop," and it doesn't show anything. I used my trusty glue gun to hang felt on my old peg board to make it a "bulletin" board. You would then need straight pins to hang work, so it would be a "teacher only" exercise to change things out.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2012

Felt is probably cheaper than some material can be. Great idea pwhatley.

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 15, 2012

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2012

LOL...I was just going to suggest this, but I see you beat me to it. I would hot glue the fabric to the board and hot glue the clothespins directly onto that. I do like to add the scrapbook paper as an added detail. :)

11. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2012

I like the ribbon and clothespin idea or the felt. You probably aren't doing flannelboard stories in grade 4, but velcro or flannel stick to felt if you needed to display/demonstrate something movable (water cycle, etc.) you could attach velcro to the back of pictures and use the felt board.

12. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 17, 2012

Personally, I would spend the money to cover it in corkboard first. THEN, if you wanted to, cover it in fabric. In this way, you can staple into the cork but keep the sleek look of the fabric! :)

You can get the cork board at any home improvement store. As to fabric, I buy the stuff that's the cheapest in the fabric section of Walmart for $3/yd or less.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2012

What would you suggest using to attach the cork board to the blackboard? I'm seriously considering this option and I think it's what my co-teacher wants to do most.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2012

Hot glue.

I have hot glued several foam boards to the wall for extra bulletin boards.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

Yep, I would attach cork board with hot glue or such.
    Then you can attach fabric or paper.

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

Is it possible to have the chalkboard removed entirely?