blue horse blue horse what do you see?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sugar001, Nov 14, 2008.

1. sugar001

sugar001 Rookie

Nov 14, 2008

Preschool toddler 2's can't use much in the way of art- maybe some glitter, crayons, glue, yarn---

We use Brown Bear book to teach a color every month and this month is blue horse--I have the b+ w template printed onto blue paper and the sentence " I see a blue horse looking at me" in white- for the babies to glue on the page but no idea what to do for the horsie- this month we used
    glitter/glue for goldfish
    yarn/glue for scarecrows/hay
    cotton balls/glue for sheep
    toilet paper rolls for cow- "you had to be there"

any ideas to make my blue horse 3 dimensional? and help fine- motor skills for under age 3?
    - I feel comfortable with these types of materials but I know there has to be more ideas out there for young ones.

I really dislike colors and markers and watercolors although safe just always looks ummm welllllll like a 2 year old scribbled- it takes them 5 seconds and they are DONE--- any general ideas are welcome

3. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Nov 14, 2008

Felt, foam, tissue paper, shiny wrapping paper, colored ink pads (make cute tiny leaves for fall trees), pipe cleaners

Personally I like the watercolors because it teaches them to cross the midline & I'm kinda partial to the 2 year old scribble thing ;) at least parents know it's their work...

4. sugar001

sugar001 Rookie

Nov 15, 2008

right I can see that- how about ideas that are similar to horse's hair- I was thinking of pencil shavings but yuck and- yuck

and if it gets in their mouths? yuck

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 15, 2008

Are the kids able to tear paper? They could tear up pieces of a brown paper bag and glue them onto the paper. I always keep a package of small brown lunch bags around for crafts. You can get about 50 for under 2 bucks and they are probably easier to tear than the large brown bags.

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Nov 15, 2008

They can use blue playdough to fill in the b & w template of their horse.

I would skip the b & w template all together and just give them the blue playdough to make blue horses on their own. You probably won't get anything that looks like a horse. You'll get blue blobs, blue pancakes, blue squigglies, etc... But it's the process that's important and not the finished product.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 15, 2008

1. Cut little sponge pieces and have them dip them in blue tempra and stamp.

2. Use a finger and stamp the horse with blue washable ink pads

3. Pre-torn blue pieces of construction or wrapping paper to glue or paste in the horse

4. Purchase small blue pompons to glue in the horse

5. Use a Q-tip to paint the horse with blue water colors or tempra

6. Cut up small pieces of blue curling ribbon or yarn to glue or paste in the horse.

All of these are good for fine motor skills

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 15, 2008

OOPS! Forgot this was supposed to be a BLUE horse! Brown just popped into my head :lol:

Blue construction paper would work too!
    There is also this neat powered paint that you mix with shaving cream that gives an interesting effect and they can use their fingers or a paint brush.

9. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Nov 20, 2008

I teach 4 year old scissor skills and then we cut anything blue out of teacher catalogs. Then we glue it (dot, dot, not alot) inside the blue horse. I don't know if 3's can cut yet or not, but they could tear.... I use it to teach colors, scissor/glue skills. Good luck!

10. Miss Sam

Miss Sam Rookie

Nov 22, 2008

You could always mix blue tempera paint with something, such as sand or glitter. It gives the paint a pretty good texture. Then they could finger paint the horses with it. I know it is messy, but that is half the fun. :D

11. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

Green frog may be coming up in the future...they could stuff those brown lunch bags with shredded newspaper. After you tie them shut, they could paint them green, add green streamer legs and and a red streamer tongue, then they add eyes. A 3-D sculpture, good grasping skills, and painting on a non-flat surface.