Blow up X-mas decorations

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Mizz Lucy, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Nov 28, 2006

Is anyone else becoming annoyed by them already?
    I just saw a home with 8 in the front lawn.
    When they are not on, they lie flat like fabric all day.
    I can see one, maybe two, but 8!
    That is nearly $1000!
    Our neighbors have one that I swear if 8 feet high and as big round!
    Don't get me wrong as I am a HUGE fan of decorating,
    I just think these blow up things have gone a bit far.
    Now back to my 'normal' holiday decorating! :sorry:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2006

Bah Humbug?

Don't let it bother you so!! Smile. Tis the season to be jolly.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2006

I hate them.......with a passion! They look sooooooooooooo silly when they are not blown up!!!!! (sorry to anyone who has them!!)

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2006

Ok I'll be the first to admit I have 2...I was given them as Xmas gifts. We have a snowman & Santa. I think they look really cute blown up, but I hate the fabric on the ground when they aren't, especially right now when there isn't any snow for at least the snowman to blend in with!!! My lil' one loves them!!!

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2006

I love the decorations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although my neighborhood has all these rules and I dont think they would be allowed to have 8 and ours yards aren't big enough.

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2006

I agree 8 would look tacky. We have a house around the corner that goes overboard every holiday, and during the summer she has about 18 different shepards hooks in her lawn with flower pots. Don't get me wrong, I love the hooks in general and landscaping but she has the hooks just scattered throughout her whole bare lawn, it looks so tacky. There is no appeal to it or structure to her landscaping, it just looks aweful. This Christmas her whole lawn is just filled with things you can barely see what it all is, it's just too much.

We have a house across the street that has a couple of those blow up things and it looks really cute. However, there is always one that is tipped over. Every year, I notice every day, one of them is not standing. It would drive me crazy having to fix it every day if it were my house.

8. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Nov 29, 2006

I have 2, a santa and a snowmana nd a big frotn yard, BUT I blew them up this year and had my lighted deer off to the side and went How tacky! ( They are both 8 feet tall) BUt having to 2 little boys I couldn't take them downt hey would be devastated, so I compromised and asked them which one they wanted to keep so we tookt he snowman down. Funny thing was all the neighborhood kids came over and wanted to know why I took the 2nd one down, they all enjoyed it so now I feel mean.

9. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Nov 29, 2006

we have neighbors that have 30+ of them including a full nativity set. It's a little much.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2006

I have to say, I like the Peanuts one I saw the other day. However, my hubby will not buy one. I think they look cute if tastefully done, but sometimes I think people open their garages toss all the decorations out and wherever they land, well, that's just how they stay..... that's not fun:eek:

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2006

I sort of like the ones that look like huge snowglobes . . . but I wouldn't have one in my yard. LOL

I don't like outdoor decorations. We put up icicle lights one year, and I didn't like them. There's a fine line between "why bother" and "too much" . . . so we just decorate inside and forget it.

I'm a bit irked that the neighbors can have a $100 blow up decoration in their yard, but they can't buy a bag of food for their dog . . . but that's another vent. LOL

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Nov 29, 2006

Tacky and overused. They look cheap.

13. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Nov 30, 2006

Gosh *shrug* I guess I'm lucky I don't live by some of you.......

We have a few of them. And lights, and music, and it's FUN!

The whole neighborhood "does it up" so when we are walking at night it is a blast!

Kelly :)

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 30, 2006

I think it's a personal decision. The same goes for your tree. I know some who only put up very classy decorations and often have a themed tree. 90% of my ornaments are homemade. There is no rhyme or reason, in fact, this year my 4 year old niece hung up most of them and I left them right where she hung them. I think the themed trees are gorgeous, just not for me. I have a blow-up at school (a 4' one), but not here because of the shared yard. I have a fair amount of lights (put up by my 16 year old niece) and decorations in my little 8 foot by 3 foot "yard".

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2006

We have a neighborhood what does it up as well. It's called Candycane Lane. It's a spot everyone goes to tour each year. The traffic is so slow you end up driving 5 miles an hours through the whole neighborhood. It's actually quite neat to see!

16. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Dec 27, 2006

OK, I admit that my children adore them.
    We too love to walk and see all the decorations.
    But they are getting tacky and cheap despite costing a bunch.

But now these items are frozen to the ground from our recent rain/snow. They probably will sit there until thawed in March.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2006

I don't really like the blow up ones ...especially laying flat on the ground all day! I decided that I don't really like any outdoor lights. We decorate inside and I think the most beautiful sight is a lit Christmas tree through a window...so peaceful.

18. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 27, 2006

I agree that one of the blow up decorations is enough...no matter how big the yard. There is someone a couple of minutes from my moms house that has around 10 of them and a load of other decorations in their yard:confused: !!! I am not against decorating but when you have these blow up things on your patio, in your yard, and along the street it is a bit much. These people have a storage conainer that is the size of one of those Pod (those mobile storage things) full of decorations that sits on the side of their house from Thanksgiving till mid January. And there are so many decorations that you can't focus on anything. There is just so much going on that it is extremely tacky.

There is a house that is across from my center that looks beautiful. They have one of the blow up things, lights around the windows in the house, and the candy canes along their sidewalk. It looks beautiful. Not overdone, but not boring either:) .

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2006

"Less is More" when decorating.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 28, 2006

As I said earlier, I think it's a personal taste issue. I grew up in the country. We were at the end of a dirt road (so not much traffic), still I remember each Christmas us all getting out in the year and putting lights around the oaks and lining the front porch. It was always so much fun. Now that I live here my nieces help put up the decorations. I don't have much in the "yard" as far as decorations, but if I had a yard, I would have several things and lots of lights. To me, that is part of the joy of Christmas, getting out there with family and friends putting them all up. I'm not overly fond of the blowups and don't have my little one here because of the cats and dog that might enjoy it a little too much. The kids at school absolutely love it. I have one lit spiral tree and a "reindeer crossing" sign. I would love to have a couple more of the trees and a nativity scene. Christmas decorations are a big thing around here. A couple of the local churches hold yard contests.
    I saw a house in a town near me that was absolutely beautiful. It had two huge oaks in the front yard that were full of old fashioned toys (pedal cars, metal doll houses, etc) that were all lined with lights (like large ornaments). Their side yard was full of decorations, the flower beds lined with lights that lit in time to the music that was playing. There were bubble machines making bubble "snow", a large train filled with decorations, presents, and teddy bears running around the edge, a large Christmas tree with lights that also responded to the music, several lit trees around the Christmas tree, and a huge sweet gum tree with white lights that lit like fireworks. It wasn't a huge house, just a plain little house in a subdivision, but it was gorgous. There were tons of people standing on the sidewalk enjoying the lights.

21. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Dec 28, 2006

Our new "hometown" has one neighborhood that went all out with their decorating for Christmas. Fifteen homeowners went together and all coordinated their Christmas lights and set them to music! Lights would flash on and off and dim according to the beat of the music playing. (People were informed of the radio station to dial to get the Christmas music.) Several homes had the blow-up decorations in their yard.

It was FANTASTIC!!! Those homeowners did a beautiful job!
    By the way, the first home on the tour had blue/white lights and a menorah in their yard. But, best of all, the neighbors collected canned goods for the local Food Pantry. Now that is the Christmas spirit!

You can see photos and videos at:
    www.picktownlights.com
    The video from the CBS Sunday Morning Show by Bill Geist is fun!

22. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2006

In my town, there is a cheese steak shop with an inflatable bear on the roof. Unfortunately, it is very windy up there or maybe it's not inflated enough - anyway, the head bobs forward and back and it looks like the bear is throwing up while holding a candy cane. Every time we go past we look for the "yacking" bear.

23. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 28, 2006

When I see the inflatable decorations, there is a naughty voice in my head that screams "Run up and poke them with a sharpened pencil!" But I'd never actually do that.

:D

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2006

People must have a lot of time on their hands to be doing that much decorating. I can barely get a Christmas tree up.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 28, 2006

The house that I went to start their decorating in September. She is a retired teacher (high school) and he is an engineer with the electric company. As for all the decorating that I do, it does take time, but that's time I get to spend with the girls and we have fun doing it. I make sure that I find the time for it.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2006

I don't have the luxury of having someone to help me decorate the house for Christmas. That would be more fun I suppose!

27. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Dec 28, 2006

I am all for decorating, but it's something about those inflatables that make me want to pop them. With a big inflatable pencil!

Tonight I saw a cozy little brick home decorated with 2 gorgeous, large wreaths lit in white. It was charming except for the 10ft Simpson Santa!!!!!! If it was for the children inside, then the Simpson's are not the best role models.

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2006

My santa lost a fan this year...he's been on the ground I was trying to get him to sit but he just wouldn't stay. Frosty on the other hand is just as happy as can be!!!

29. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2006

That's so funny!! I have to agree that those big floaty things are way too much. I believe in the less is more theory. I like pretty flashing lights, and that's it. That's all I need to make me happy. I also really hate it when people leave their lights up all year round and only bother to turn them on the day before chrismtas. Also, in Fresno they have Christmas Tree Lane where there's a long road filled with lights and those blown up thigns and stuff. That's where I can see it happening. It's actually quite fun. But big things in front of a small yard is too much. Just my 2 cents.

30. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Dec 30, 2006

T-A-C-K-Y

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2006

I like wreaths and candles.... my old faithful hand me down santa and that's about it.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2007

Santa's fallen and he can't get up!!

33. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 3, 2007

I love the blow up yard decorations, but would never spend the money on them. I have to agree, more than one or two is way too much. I see them all over the ground and think that I wouldn't want them after all. I have two of the grapevine snowmen, ( I love snowmen), one in the front yard and one in the back. They stay up all winter. I took all the Christmas decor down, and have snowmen and snowflakes all through the house for the winter. It makes the house look cheery after all the Christmas decorations come down.

34. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 3, 2007

Oh yes, and we visited a house the next town over during the holidays that was decorated and ran the lights to music. It was fantastic! It made the local news as one neighbor wanted it stopped due to traffic, but they didn't get their way.

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 3, 2007

Now, the grapevine figures are very classy. Those I love.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2007

I'm not sure what grapevine figures are?

37. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 3, 2007

They are made out of the grapevine branches - like grapevine wreaths. I really like the reindeer made this way.

38. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2007

Oh, now I know what you mean...thanks! Those are really pretty. I have had the wreaths for forever and change them seasonally.

39. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, you can do so many pretty, creative things with them.