Bloom's Level activity

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tnv, Aug 27, 2011.

1. tnv

tnv Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

I've been using something called True and False: Three Points of Proof with my upper grade kids this year. It is a strategy designed to take questions and activities from the Remembering and Understanding levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy and bring them up to the evaluating level. We do it every other day with one of our multiple choice worksheets.

I'm stealing the next line from the positive engagement project website where I found the strategy because it explains the concept so well..."Most worksheets and standardized questions have students recall or remember the information and explain ideas or concepts. True and False: Three Points of Proof requires students to justify a stand or their decision for proving one answer choice true and the others false." It's only been 3 weeks for us, which means about 8 or 9 times using this strategy, but WOW, I can see my kids thinking at a higher level and it is exciting.

-tnv

3. dudeteacher

dudeteacher Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

I've downloaded it...

I downloaded it from their website last night, but haven't read it all the way through yet. From what I've read, it sounds like a good idea. I did read the part where PEP suggest that you give the kids the answer to start because getting the answer isn't what's the key, but rather the process of proving the answer. I'll try it out this week with my kids and report back.

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 27, 2011

Thanks for sharing! I looked thru it and it looks interesting. Basically I teach the same thing when I focus on test taking skills, but the way it is put forth on the site, makes sense.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

Interesting idea for sure. I'm disappointed that it is still essentially a test-taking strategy as opposed to really being a way to make kids think critically about problems but I can see where it would still have its place.

Like most interesting things I'll surely find a way to adapt it to fit my goals for my kids. Thanks for sharing!

6. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

I agree it is a test taking strategy, but you can use the three points of proof for any activitiy in class. I've made a modification for non multiple choice questions where my kids have to still find the key words, prove their view point, and then answer. I like it quite a bit and see a ton of potential. I've played with it for a couple of weeks and am pretty excited about having another tool.

7. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

What's the website? Thanks.

8. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 28, 2011

9. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

I showed this to my grade level team today after school and they loved it. We started playing with math, science, social studies, and some free response. We're very excited, but we agreed not to drill this into the ground and use it once in a while.