blogs

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by 2Teach_is_2Care, Aug 13, 2006.

1. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

Do any of you have and use educational Blogs in your classroom? I just received my Teaching K-8 magazine and they have a page about educational blogs for students. I'm interested in how this is different than a webpage, because some that I look at look like plan 'ol web pages. What's the difference? How easy is it to use? Is it expensive? How do you start one? Any other comments or suggestions would be nice. :)

It seems like an awesome tool to use in the classroom... :D

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 15, 2006

Blogs are the easiest internet writing and expression tool in the world. They are easy to 'fancy up,' easy to update, easy to lock down, and they increase the writing skills of people of all ages.

I have used Blogger, Diaryland, Livejournal, and Deadjournal for my students. My own blog is hosted by Blogger.

I am all over the blogging. LOVE it.

I am also a partner in a business that goes to schools all over the States to teach teachers how to teach their students about blogging in particular, and the internet in general. But I helped form it AFTER I was hooked on personal and student blogging.

4. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 16, 2006

I am so excited about using a classroom blog instead of a newsletter this year! I job share, so a blog is a really easy way for either of us to keep in touch with the parents. Plus you can include anything you want... pictures, student stories, etc, and it's just so easy to update! I'll use blogger, as this is the only one I've used so I know how to use it! Another neat thing is that I'm going to use Statcounter to see how many people are visiting and how long they stay on the site, etc.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 17, 2006

If you use Haloscan for your comments, you can track IP numbers, etc. There are tons of awesome blog-things you can put on there.

6. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 17, 2006

I've never heard of Haloscan. I'll have to look into it; thanks!

7. bettyb

bettyb Companion

Jan 13, 2007

You might try blogging yourself to show the kids how blogs work. I have started blogging on TeacherLingo.com. They are a new site and very safe. They have a very easy way to start with a lot of fast tech support. It's great. I highly recommend blogging for you and your students.