Blogs in the classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Raj Raturi, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Raj Raturi

Raj Raturi Rookie

Jul 23, 2012

Anyone have students create and maintain blogs over the school year? How did it turn out?

3. Avery

Avery Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

We did blogs for a short time last year, but it was really more of a writing assignment. We were reading a book and students had to blog from the point of view of that day's character. It worked really, really well for the month or so that we did it.

This year, I'm going to use blogs as a daily writing activity. I've decided they're going to be personal blogs, but not very introspective or journally. Instead, each day they're getting a short prompt and a few minutes to update. My prompts are things like, "create a list of awesome things starting with the letter L." Not very personal, but a chance to think and write.

My thoughts on blogs are this:

I think if you can use them, they'll be a great addition to a writing program. They're more interesting than paper or a notebook. I think kids are more likely to use them.

However, you have to be careful about assigning them for homework if not all of your kids have access to the internet. And you should be careful to have students write correctly. My English class is taught almost exclusively on the computer, so we have to go over how I expect them to write. Most of my kids naturally want to write a lot of lols and :):0:) after everything, because that's how they usually communicate online. That just doesn't fly in my classroom.

Yikes! Sorry for the novel!