Blogging with your students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 100%Canadian, May 23, 2010.

1. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

May 23, 2010

I'm looking for some new ideas to get my students blogging more. I'd have to say that this year has been successful for blogging with my class but I want to take it to the next level and integrate it with my program next year.

There have been times where I've posted something and given the students time in class to write responses. In other cases, I just post something and await voluntary responses, which seems to be the same crowd of 6-8 students. It would be difficult to assign as homework for those who don't have computer access at home.

What kinds of activities have worked for you and your blog? What has worked to get your students actively involved on it? Also, any suggestions for getting parents active on the blog too?

Here's the link to my blog if you want to see some of the things I've done: http://mrmepham.wordpress.com

Looking forward to your suggestions!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2010

I post a discussion question on the blog on our class website--sometimes it relates to what is going on around the school and sometimes to what we are studying. If you're interested in reading, PM me and I'll send you the link and the password (I've password protected it).

4. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

May 24, 2010

I use our classroom blog for two purposes. The first is our weekly reporter. One student each week is responsible for keeping track of lessons we did, fun activities, announcements or classroom news, etc. Then, he/she creates a blog entry that summarizes our week. Parents and students are free to comment on these. My parents usually like this because it keeps them informed of what's going on in the classroom.

I also use the blog as a discussion board for homework assignments. I post a question that connects to our current units. I always have the blog question listed on our homework board for students to copy. This way, if they don't have a computer at home or their internet isn't working, everyone is able to complete the homework assignment.

5. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

May 24, 2010

Those are great ideas, thanks so much for offering them. If you'd be willing to share your blog address, I'd love to take a look. PM me if you'd rather keep it low key, or just post the URL here.

Anyone else?

One thing that helped me generate traffic on my blog was I used Photofunia with pictures of my students and posted them; mainly for humour sake but I never told them whose picture was up there so the onus was on them to look. While they were looking, a few decided to leave a comment or two.