Blogging/Discussion Board

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ldoyle02, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ldoyle02

ldoyle02 New Member

Jun 21, 2011

Does anyone have any insight on incorporating an online discussion board and/or blogging into your classes? :thanks:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2011

I used a discussion forum on my class Moodle this year. Students were responsible for posting questions and responding to posts of others. Some were quite active, others read but didn't post. I'll definitely use it again next year.

4. Mark94544

Mark94544 Companion

Jun 28, 2011

There are lots of articles, blog posts, and discussions about this, but the very first place to ask is your district office: they may have specific guidelines and restrictions.

It's an incredible hassle to set up a private discussion forum, and to deal with students who encounter technical problems. If your district or school has adopted a specific technology solution that COULD host your discussion forum, that's almost certainly the best place to start.

An obvious example: some teachers create Facebook "fan pages" or "groups" to invite student interaction, but of course many schools block Facebook, and some parents are uncomfortable allowing their kids to use Facebook.

You should also check with your district or school before encouraging or inviting students to post comments anywhere that's visible to the public. This certainly includes Facebook as well as most free blogging sites and services.

A good starting point: think about how you'd want to describe your discussion forum or blog in the introduction letter you send home to parents. (And if you're thinking, "I don't need to disclose this to parents," please think again.)

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2011

You need to decide beforehand what your purpose and goal are. I found after three years of having students do blogs it just wasn't reaching my goals. I had way too many kids who did not have regular access and could not participate.

If that is what you want, an extension just for those kids who have access, then jump in. If you want an active, vibrant discussion you need to figure out how you will ensure kids have the access and time to make it work.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 2, 2011

Rockguy, that's EXCELLENT advice. You have to know *why* you're doing it or it doesn't work nearly as well. For me, I really had to think about what's the difference between a blog and a journal and focus the lessons in that direction.

As for online discussions, we use LMS/Blackboard. All of our kids have school issued laptops, so it's easy to incorporate the use of discussion boards in class. I love it. They discuss literature, they critique each others short answer responses, they respond to events in the news... you name it.