Blocking!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Lark22, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Lark22

Lark22 New Member

Jul 26, 2008

I needed help with a blocking schedule. I have been teaching for 7 years and each year I have taught something different. Last year I was teaching 7th and 8th grade reading...this year I only have 7th graders but I have them for writing and grammar. We are going to a blocking schedule (90 mins) and I have no idea how I want to piece everything together. I have a reading and writing book, which my students will be doing novels as well, but I am looking for someone that can share their day to day routine. For example, do you do DOL when they come in, then have them write in their journals, then do a reading assignment...???? I am just so confused on what I actually want to do in the classroom. Could anyone give me any ideas on what you do in your language arts class??? Thanks!!!!

3. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jul 26, 2008

My LA class is like a block schedule. I do 1. DOL/ Writing Prompt (usually related to what we are focusing on) when they first come in. 2. We go over the DOL or share the writing prompts. 3. I, then, explain the lesson and they start the practice. I usually give them time to do their work in class.

If we are working on a writing assignment I let them write and then give them more instruction.

If we are doing grammar, I explain the lesson and give them time to work on the exercises in the book. We go over them as a class. If the kids need extra practice I assign more. If they understand the lesson, I will go on to another lesson.

At the end of the period, they have about 5-10 minutes to explain what they learned. I collect and grade the assignment.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2008

Here's my daily routine:
    I, personally, do Monday & Wednesday focus on reading and Tuesday & Thursday focus on writing. Friday is our vocab test and then we do our Read magazine or play Scrabble or other things like that.
    I attended the Walloon institute this week and got energized and lots of new ideas. During Sam Bennett's workshop on next generation workshops, I developed this schedule for myself. I have an 84 minute block:
    Silent Sustained Reading/Writing (depending on day) - 10 min
    Poem of the Day or DOL-type activity - 10 min
    Mini-lesson - 15-20 min
    Worktime/catch & release - 30 min
    Debrief - 10 min

Our shared reading is short texts that serve as the basis of various minilessons. I do two whole-class novels a year, and the rest of the reading is self-chosen.

5. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I have LONG blocks - 110 minutes!

Here's my basic schedule:
    10-15 minutes writing or DOL (I usually alternate between the two.)

20-30 minutes grammar and spelling

10-15 minutes reading/writing instruction

40 minute reading/writing activity in small groups

10 minute reflection, preparation for next class (my kids are REALLY bad about forgetting what supplies they'll need next.)

5 minutes classroom cleaning.

6. Lark22

Lark22 New Member

Jul 28, 2008

Thank you for all your great ideas...do any of you use journals or notebooks that you grade? If you do, how do you go about incorporating it into your day to day activities?

7. cks

cks New Member

Aug 1, 2008

I would like to bump this back up to the top. This is my 2nd year teaching, but my first on a block schedule. We have 87 min. classes and I am teaching Language Arts - both reading and writing. Would love some tips!!

8. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

My kids will have three comp books that they will bring to class each day: one is a reading/writing handbook (basically notes), one is a writing notebook (for journaling, reflective writing, write-arounds, etc., and a reading response notebook (for their letter-essays on their outside reading). I grade the reading response every three weeks; I plan on grading their handbooks every 1-2 weeks during their workshop time. The grade will basically be whether or not their notebook is up to date.

9. MrL

MrL Companion

Aug 1, 2008

You must have multiple activities unless you have a really engaging hands-on project. You cannot hold their attention with an assignment for 90 minutes.