block scheduling

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teachmemath, Jun 2, 2005.

1. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jun 2, 2005

I will be teaching at a school that has block scheduling. What is block scheduling? How many classes do you teach a day when there is block scheduling? How much time do you have for planning and lunch? Do you still have to do duties such as lunch or hallway duty? I just need a little clarification from teachers with experience on this topic.
    Have a great summer!!! :)

3. jnation

jnation Companion

Jun 2, 2005

When I was in high school we had block 8 scheduling (this may be different than what you are inquiring about). It ran where there would be four classes a day (total of 8 classes) that would alternate, so one day you would have four classes and the next you would have four different classes. I think they lasted about 80 minutes a period. We had no study hall because the thought was that you would have time to finish assignments in class; however, teachers were always trying to cover double the material of a normal school day so there wasn't normally much time for homework in class. Teachers still only had a 30 minute lunch break and had to supervise a homeroom right before lunch. To my knowledge, only the PE teachers ever worked lunch duty. Teachers had one planning period a day, so they taught 3 classes a day.
    I'm sure this is different for different schools but hopefully this will give you an idea of how block schedule runs. I think the most important thing to do with block scheduling is be sure to vary your activities during a class period. There was nothing worse than sitting through a class where the teacher lectured for 80 minutes straight!! Good luck and I hope that this helped!!
    Jen

4. shandannon1

shandannon1 Rookie

Jun 2, 2005

When I did my student teaching we were on block schedule. Our school started at 8. The first class ran from about 8-9 20. So about 80 minutes.We had 3 classes, and 1 planning period that was the same amount of time as a regular class. So the students actually had 4 classes a day. We still had lunch duty and hall and bus duty. Hope this helps!!!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2005

6. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 2, 2005

Only a few of the schools around here are on block schedules, but they have 3 classes a day, for a total of 6 classes. I think each period is closer to 2 hours, (a normal period in that district is 55 minutes). I'm not sure about prep periods, how that works. I do think the teachers have to do the normal duties expected of them.

7. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jun 6, 2005

thank you so much for all the information. This has been helpful :)
    I will be teaching for 80 minutes with a A/B schedule.

8. D2theMcV

D2theMcV Rookie

Jun 6, 2005

I used to be in a "modified 8 block." (alternating days) I loved it.

Then I saw this website:

http://www.jefflindsay.com/Block.shtml

You may want to check it out. I am pretty much against the whole idea now.