Block Schedule for Math & Science

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jw12, Dec 26, 2015.

1. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Dec 26, 2015

Hello All... A little over a year ago I posted on this forum about my high school creating a new STEM program (original post: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/index.php?threads/building-new-stem-program.185946/).

I'm happy to report that our program has had a wonderful first semester and we've had buy-in from students, staff, and admin. A ton of buy-in. The super is wanting to divert funds to us for next year - which brings me to my question...

I met with my administrator just before Christmas break (literally, the day before break). He wants to explore ideas about advancing our honors students in this program. One idea is to block-schedule the students for math and science classes during the freshman year. They would take the following classes during 9th grade:

Fall Semester: Honors Geometry and Honors Biology
    Spring Semester: Honors Algebra 2 and Honors Physical Science

Nothing like this has ever been done at my school. No other classes would be blocked - just these 4 courses for a select group of 30 kids.

Has anyone had any experience with a similar set-up? The concern is that this would be too much for 9th graders to handle.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

3. Puppet Debris

Puppet Debris Rookie

Dec 30, 2015

I've known eleventh graders to handle similar schedules except Geometry, Alg.2, Physics and Chemistry in one year. I have known regular ninth graders who took algebra and physical science in the fall, no math or science in the spring and then took geometry and biology the next fall - while others did the same idea except took those classes in the spring.
    I like block - slows everything down - less time mobilizing for class or it makes it possible to have twice as long for passing between classes.
    The state testing might be an issue - fall algebra students having to wait until spring to be tested.

4. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Dec 31, 2015

Thanks for the reply! Ohio offers fall and spring testing dates, and there is no Alg 2 or Physical Science state test.

We're also looking at doing Project Lead the Way, so the students need more room in their schedules during 11th and 12th grade for those courses. I think we can pull off the 9th grade block schedule if I can convince our admin!