Block Algebra 2. What do you cover?

Discussion in 'High School' started by atomic, Jun 17, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 17, 2010

I'm working on a course that follows algebra 2.

I've been talking to a lot of Algebra 2 teachers to see what they cover and its been hard getting straight answers.

Its as if they all think they will get in trouble for not covering the whole curriculum. (which is written as if you'll cover the book cover to cover) They all preface their statements with "when i had 180 days I could cover a lot more." I'm always thinking to myself, "I didn't ask that..."

So...I thought I could get a better answer from all of you.

1. What topics do you cover?
    2. How much is review of Algebra 1?
    3. How much is the Algebra 1 that they should have gotten but didn't?
    4. How many chapters can you cover?

One brave soul told me they get up to Chapter 7 in the McDougall book with skipping a lot of 5 and 6.

3. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 17, 2010

We don't necessarily follow the book, but we review equations, inequalities, including absolute value; matrices (adding, subtracting, multiplying, cramer's rule, inverses); review systems; graph conics; quadratic equations (by factoring, completing the square, and quadratic formula); polynomial equations; imaginary numbers (but we have to review simplifying radicals first, you'd think they'd NEVER seen it before even though we do it in algebra 1 and geometry...); hmmm.... I think there's more, but that's all I remember right now.

I love block schedule for everything but math, you just can't get as much done. It's not like you can squeeze 2 days worth of math into a block if the kids need to move more slowly.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2010

Sorry, I've never taught Block Scheduling.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 17, 2010

Have you looked at your state standards for Alg II? Even though I don't teach math, I think starting with your standards as to what to cover would be the right first step.

6. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 21, 2010

They don't have standards for individual courses in NJ. There are only Math standards in general and are not helpful.

Only one out of 6 Algebra2 teachers in my school have answered my email asking how far into the curriculum they reached?

I think they are afraid they would be in trouble if they actually said they only finished a third of the curriculum.

I only made it through 5 chapters in the course that follows Alg2. I was supposed to cover 10...

7. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 17, 2011

I'm teaching Algebra 2 Honors this year, so this may or may not be helpful. This is close to the reg. Algebra 2, except the honors classes require proofs. I haven't taught this yet, but I'll be teaching alongside one of my mentors (covering same material on same day).

This is our plan for the school year:

- Review of Algebra 1 (exponents, radicals, rat. exp., factoring)
    - Equations and Inequalities (linear and rational equations, complex numbers, quadratic equations, linear ineq., and absolute value ineq)
    - Functions (basics, slope, transformations, composite fun, inverses)
    - Polynomial and Rational Functions (quadratics, polynomials, dividing polynomials, zeros of polynomials, rationals, inequality graphs)
    - Exponential and Log. Functions (exponential fun, log fun, log properties, expon and log equations, exponential growth and decay)
    - Systems of Equations and Inequalities (2Var Linear, 3Var Linear, 2Var Nonlinear, 2Var Inequalities)
    - Matricies (Matrix Solutions, Inconsistent and Dependent systems, matrix operations, determinants)

I think that's a lot, but he says we will get through it with time to spare.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2011

Algebra II and Trig is one of the most packed courses taught in most high schools. There's rarely a day to spare; heaven help the kid who develops mono during Junior year!!

9. ybmiuq

ybmiuq Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

I plan to teach all that plus here might be some more also off the top of my head and looking at the state standards on-line since I don't have the book.
    Probability (including simulations, dependent and independent events, and, or, exclusive or, Permutations, Combinations, Binomial Theorem, Standard Deviation), sequences, series, trigonometry, functions, inverses, periodic functions), parabolas, hyperbolas, factor polynomials (remainder theorem, factor theorem, Solve and graph exponentials and Logarithms and everything else.
    I like to go in order of the book.
    Sorry I don'thave it all in order, and well presented but I am at the library and my time is almost up.