Blessed

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Poodle15, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 16, 2013

I'm feeling so blessed right now. :wub:

Teachers at my community college have been asking for me by name to come work for them for work study (I already have a work study job), they have been talking among themselves about pushing me to be a "by appointment" tutor for the education math classes, and I've gotten rave reviews by both the director of the tutoring center and my work study boss (director of educational technologies) which have led me to be asked to be an instructor for the Gear Up program offered at my college for middle/high school students. Also, the head teacher who I am observing at the daycare/preschool asked me if I thought I'd enjoy working there and that she'd love to see me work there. I had previously considered putting in an application for the summer since I'm going to need a job. To know that I'm wanted just made the situation even more wonderful.

I've been working so hard at my studies and my jobs, including the observation, that it feels good to be recognized. I spent 13 years in retail where, no matter how hard you worked or how good of a job you did, it was impossible to get anyone to notice unless you pointed it out. I don't exactly keep my head down but I never thought I was standing out so much and so positively.

There is so much stress in my life that today's achievement of being asked to teach made me cry with joy. "Alright, guys. I just hired our 4th teacher! Poodle's going to do it!" Those are beautiful words right there.

:wub:

3. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Mar 25, 2013

Although there were no replies to this thread (it's okay ;) ) I figured this was the best place for an update.

I got an email the next Wednesday "taking back" the offer. They decided to leave things as they were. In other words, "We're going to hope the middle school teacher from the local school district who agreed to do this shows up even though she didn't last week and still hasn't talked to us." Well, big surprise, she didn't. They asked me to go ahead and teach "Discovery." Discovery is the hands-on hour out of the three hours the kids are there. The other two hours are like fully structured classes. I get the "fun time." :D

Well, I felt awkward since I was using someone else's activity but since I didn't come prepared to do my own thing, I was relieved. However, I felt like it went pretty well and all the admin in charge of Math Corps and three of the five teachers said I did an amazing job. They were really impressed with me since I'm still earning my first two years of a degree. I've been asked to continue teaching Discovery and never mind if that teacher shows up. (Yeah, right! But I don't mind!) Oh, the other two teachers are best friends and young females not much older than I am. I got a little bit of a catty attitude from both of them but I'm not reading much into it or worrying about it. I don't need to add any negativity to something that means so much to me.

I'm taking this at face value and taking in everything I can. I love that this is a job that I can put on a resume and that I will be part of the Gear Up video that we are making centered around this program.
    http://www.mathcorps.org/flashPlayer/mathCorps.html
    It's like this except without the history since we're copying their program. Wayne State U is like our sister college in many respects.

Anyway, that's my update and my happy news. :wub:

4. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Apr 4, 2013

Congratulations! That sounds like a perfect fit for you - just from reading your posts. It's so exciting to have people actually /want/ you in their building. I hope that other teacher doesn't come back so you can stay. ;)

Good luck!