Blech... have to get a new car...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by loves2teach, Feb 29, 2008.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 29, 2008

For the past 6 months or so, I have been telling my dh that we really needed to look into getting something new (or newer) because of the troubles our car has had. But no, there is no way according to my dh. Our car is fine and paid for, and I just wanted something fancy, again according to him.

Well, yesterday we found out that our car has pretty much bit the dust. So now we HAVE to get something. There goes our casual viewing//searching. The car salespeople can smell that from a mile a way.

Hoping to get something we can afford... like maybe a cobalt. I would LOVE an Altima, but we can't swing the monthly payments.

So, anyone else have the same problem trying to convince their dh of things??? :help: Or any cheap car advice. :2up:

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 29, 2008

My bf's dad's gf recently bout a Toyota....she gets lots of free things (oil changes and "check ups" and things) and those things add up. I'd check on those and see if anyone else offers those kind of warrenty's. Even if the monthly payments are a little more, not having to pay for oil changes and checks saves money in the long run.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2008

Definately check online at different "listed" prices. I know my hubby does this and when he goes in says this is what I want for mine & this is what I want to pay.

Have you ever thought about leasing? We have leased about 4 different vehicles...hubby loves it because he loves being able to get a "new" car.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 29, 2008

I bought a Toyota in September and you do get a lot of free things. They had an info. night for all new car owners and they had 5 draws, food and drinks.... You get a free profeessional car cleaning (inside and wax job) for just filling out a questionnaire. I just got free movie passes with a letter inviting me to visit their service department and my oil changes are free as long as I follow their oil change calendar.

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 29, 2008

The key is to not let on that you NEED a car. You are just in the market. Be willing to walk out. I did and before I could get to my car, they agreed ot my price. It's like playing poker...never let the other players know the hand you've been dealt.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2008

That worked for my hubby's friend. It also works like good cop/bad cop. I get to be the bad cop.... My wife really doesn't like the color or leather seats (I really don't like those...too cold in the winter & as my sis says "Swamp @ss in the summer!) and this that the other thing. I just sit there & agree. Sometimes I ask him what don't I like about this one.

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 29, 2008

That is key...I'm usually the bad cop...I have it all sorted out with my husband ahead of time. He does not do any negototiating, etc. I come with my Consumer Reports printout of what everything REALLY costs, any sales adds, etc. in a folder. They know I mean business when I walk in. If they say they don't have the car or whatever, I say "thank you very much" and walk out. I have been told twice they don't have the car instock that I'm looking for. It is amazing how they turn up when I walk away. I never negotiate monthly payments, only cars price(I already have it figures out how much payments are going to be based on the cars price). Never tell them how much you are willing to spend or if you have a trade in. Oh...and they always say..."I'm not going to make much on this sale". I say "that's a problem for you and your boss. Do you want to hear about how little I make teaching?" OH...and don't forget to ask for their invoice. This shows how much they Actually bought the car for.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 29, 2008

jw, can you come with me the next time I go to get a new car? ;)

10. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 29, 2008

Absolutely:)

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2008

Are you & my hubby relatives!?!?;) He does the exact same things... for days & sometimes a week before hand he will research the cars/trucks then do a bunch of price checking & what not. OMGosh I can't believe I found his long lost relative!!!:eek:

12. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 29, 2008

Yes...we are a RARE breed.:D

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2008

When I saw that I had to say it!!!
    I'm sure the car dealers appreciate that you are a "rare" breed!!!

14. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 29, 2008

They definitely do not see dollar signs when I walk in.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 29, 2008

I always bring my mom with my when I got car shopping. I made the mistake last spring to bring my grandfather he got in a huge pissing contest with the manager.

I just brought a new car about three weeks ago. Actually I leased it. That works best for me. We talked them down from 20,000 to 18,000.
    I had a honda civic ex 2004 that I owed 9,400 and they gave me 11,000 (probably could have gotten more). I leased a Honda Civic EX 2008.

good luck! I like Hondas and Toyotas because they hold their value better.

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 29, 2008

I have a Honda now and LOVE it!!! They do hold thier value better....
    Jamie, mine is an '04, I am glad to hear that you got so much for it on a trade in!!!!

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 29, 2008

Jw, my dad must have cheated on my mom at some point cause I swear you must be his kid. My dad just helped me replace my car for WELL under the kelly blue book value. I'd never go shopping for any big ticket item without him.

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Feb 29, 2008

:whistle::D

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 29, 2008

I leased my RAV 4 too! I am planning on just buying it out and selling it and buying a new one in 3 years. I did not think of asking them to go down on the price for a leased vehicle but I got a lot of add ons for free which totalled about $1000 and they will give their dealers cost for a car starter when I decide to put one in. The dealership has also given me about $200 in products (movie tickets, blanket, dinner, car detailing) in the last 4 months.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2008

Darn it . . . wrote my entire post and forgot to submit it.

Take two.

It pays to shop around, have a budget in mind, and know something about the different models of cars, too. I came from a family of "buy new & drive it forever" people. DH came from a family of "buy used & trade often" people.

Last winter DH totaled his Jeep, and he wanted one of a similar body style to his old one. We spent one entire weekend looking in several counties at LOTS of dealers, and we test drove several. Finally we found one he liked that was listed for $9100. Their "best" deal was $8400. I got it for $4000 plus tax/license for reminding them that it was probably the oldest vehicle on their lot, I'd have to buy a spare tire & repair a hole in one seat & replace a rear signal . . . and that I doubted most people were in the market for a vehicle with 105,000 miles either.

Even my FIL was impressed, and he's a car guy. LOL

It helped that DH's family had owned 5 of those Jeeps, so we knew the reliability of them. DH's was still going strong with 169,000 miles when he ran it through a plank fence. None of the others had any major problems and all were close to 200,000 miles before they were traded.

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 2, 2008

I have a Scion tC and I love it! It's not a very expensive car and it comes with a lot of stuff standard! I'd definitely recommend taking a look at those. :)

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 3, 2008

If you want to trade make sure you do it before 60,000 miles. The value drops then.

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2008

Hey :) Thanks for all the advice!!

We ended up getting a 2007 Cobalt. Only has 2500 miles on it. It was thrifty enough for our budget, and looks ok. Not what I really wanted, but like I said- we can afford it :)