Bleak January Days

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WaProvider, Jan 13, 2009.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 13, 2009

:yawn:What do you do to liven up those bleak January days after the holidays are over and before spring comes. Usually we have snow here now, but we got that early. I am not sure it will come again. That sure thows off my lesson plan!!!

What are you doing?

3. jadej

jadej Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

Watch movies!

4. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

Movies at school?
    :eek:hmy:

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 14, 2009

I feel like watching movies, but mrgrinch09 is right-that I can't do.

6. imat

imat Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

I am with you! We too as a group are having a hard time with January. The cold weather came during December when we were working on holiday things and now that it is January it feels like spring here. So I was thinking of doing so literacy base things. The three bears, Bear Snores On and Hibernation. We will see how that all turns out.

http://kidsworldexploration.com

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 14, 2009

Pajama day, when everyone comes to school in pajamas, and a Beach Day, in the middle of winter.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 14, 2009

Oh, that is cute-and it would fit in with the Bear Snores On thing. I like that.

Currently we are vamping with the Hickory Dickory Dock rhyme and clock time telling. That was to continue the Midnight idea from the New Years time.

9. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

We do Favorite Stories (one story per week, one per winter month) - 3 Bears, 3 Pigs, 3 Billy Goats Gruff. The children love acting them out and there are so many center activities to go along with them.

10. piggy2009

piggy2009 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

everyday?
    isn't this too much for the young ones?

11. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2009

Watching movies is definitely inappropriate. Children get enough time in front of a tv while they're at home as it is...they don't need more of it when they come to school!

12. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jan 16, 2009

I make sure to put new/special items in all learning centers and change them often. Another thing I do is lots of very active music and movement activities. Winter is also when I bring out lots of my very favorite books/stories, many of them are funny and this keeps us laughing. We also act out some stories like Maxadoodle. We do watch occasional educational videos or videos of books we have read and compare them to the book.

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 16, 2009

Sorry, WA Provider, no snow here either. We also have spring or should I say almost summer weather!

My classes have a two week Christmas break. I use that time to spruce up the room by changing the bulletin boards background and boarders, moving some centers and furniture, and changing things up a little.

When they come back I also kick things up a notch academically. This year I also spiced up my discipline system.

I don't know if its the break, or the changes, or the nice weather; but my classes are pretty excited and engaged right now.

No movies here, but I do use Discovery Streaming.

14. hockeygirl39

hockeygirl39 Rookie

Jan 16, 2009

I am in WI and have plenty of snow to play in- but now it has gotten too cold to go outside- figures! We were off yesterday and today because windchills are below -25* but earlier this week when we had only -10* and had class we had an indoor snowball fight (newspaper wads) I set it up so we had teams and just threw the "snowballs" at each other. The kids had a ball- no one got hurt- it was very active - a little loud but they needed the release.
    I also have a bunch of active musical songs we do- Dr. JEan lettersize, button factory ect.... musical instruments for marching, rhythm stick songs ect..... those kinds of things I can throw out on a moments notice and the kids will have a ball.

I have also stepped up the academics and changed around my discipline system the kids are responding well and we are having a ton of fun even if we are stuck inside.

Hope you come up with some good ideas

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 16, 2009

What is discovery streaming?

16. msj

msj Companion

Jan 16, 2009

Our theme is winter. I bring ice in everyday and put it in the sensory table for different activities. I also tape an area off on the rug and give the children wax paper to "ice skate" with (If you have never tried this...go now and get some wax paper! It is so fun!). I also cover a box with tin foil and cut a hole out. The children "ice fish" with a magnet on a string and paper clip tipped paper fish...just a few ideas.

17. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 16, 2009

I'm sorry. Most people call it unitedstreaming. I might have confused you. Its a video-based learning resource by Discovery Education. You can show content specific videos or video segments
    to your class. I have a 20" screen at my whole group area. This week we watched a short (1 to 2 minutes) video segment on penguins. Next week we will look at quail. Some of my students have never seen a penguin and most of my class have never seen a quail.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2009

We do more sensory activities in the winter, in the table, even warm soapy water is good and soothing. We play with more clay and playdough, shaving cream. It's a good release of tensions from not being able to go outside with below zero temps. I have sand in the sensory table right now, with animals and today I threw in a handful of pom poms. They make their own play stories up with those.
    We talk about the new President with the use of Weekly Reader and Martin Luther Day gives us a chance to talk about "getting along," which goes nicely into Valentine's Day ideas. January is good for learning about the Arctic and all the animals that live there.

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 16, 2009

OH, I just do that on the net, but you have to be careful where you go-not a job to do when children are next to you. I didn't know it was in a place like discovery education. Is it something you have to purchase?

20. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2009

United Streaming/Discovery Education requires a subscription, which I believe is rather expensive.

21. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 16, 2009

weare in Nh so it's cold and snowy here. We've suffered through a major ice storm with no power for 6 days in Dec. We are having temps as low as 30 BELOW 0-- so the themes in our class this month are : Dressing for Winter--we traced our bodies to make replicas of our jackets and snow pants. I traced their boots hat and mittens--- they had to color each piece according to the color of their real ones and then they made their head and had to color the hair and eyes like theirs really are. I put all the piees together today for each child --hung themup int he hall way--so I have8 "kids" dressed for winter outdoor play "climbing the walls" LOL We did an item each day with hat and mittens the same day.

Colors-- number recognition color by number group activity, color game 9the kids ave to move t the correct color circle ont he wall in the manner i tell them walk to green run to yellow etc), free form color collages and saran wrap color mixing

this week we are making the ARTIC! We will crush up ice in bags with our wooden blocks, gather up snow from outside and use the water table in the classroom to create the artic ocean, we will do polar bear and penguin porjects including a feed the fish to the penguin game I made.

snow and snowmen

shadows

we do a lot of dancing and I pull out special game sthat we do't do all the time like bumble bee hop and ring toss, bowling etc and have game days

22. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 16, 2009

We used a parachute today, and the kids had a blast! I put a small ball in the middle, and we tried to keep it inside the parachute. After about 15 minutes, my arms gave out. They kept going for at least 25 minutes, just flopping the thing up and down. Boy, they were tired when we were done! Next week we are planning to put a Balzac or a beach ball in the middle. I hate being stuck inside in the winter. Their behavior is so much better when they can run around on the playground!

23. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 16, 2009

Yes, Emmakate, it does require a subscription. I really don't know about the cost because the Diocese in which I teach has the subscription. I do know unitedstreaming often offers free 30 subscriptions.

Keep an eye out.

24. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 17, 2009

Wow, you guys are great.....I feel more energized for next week already.......keep going.

25. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 17, 2009

I love th wax paper iceskating idea--- I think I might let them try it-- do you ahve them take their shoes off and slide across it in their socks? and do you tape the edges down?

26. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 17, 2009

I just found shaving cream in the store that you mix up old fashioned style. no can!! I am so excited to try that!!

27. skerns

skerns Companion

Jan 18, 2009

Wanted to warn you to be careful with the shaving cream. I had a child get some in his eyes. Not pretty. It really, really burns and there are warnings on the can, not to get into eyes.

I use January as a winter theme time. We learn about penguins and make some of our own for the bulletin board. I spend a few days a week teaching them to make paper snowflakes. Once they get the hang of it, we hang some from the ceiling. The snips that are left from cutting them out, we sweep onto the floor for snow. I let them cut larger pieces smaller. When the floor is thoroughly covered with white "snow" we have a snowball fight with white paper balls. We also go ice skating one day in the classroom. Usually before it snows in our room. lol

February is usually fun enough with Valentine's Day. :)

28. msj

msj Companion

Jan 18, 2009

They leave their shoes on and just step on the paper. This way if they start to slide where they don't want to, they can just step off. I go over the rules stressing that we keep our hands to ourselves and stay in the "pond" (tape on the floor). Sometimes I add some winter music to skate to...

29. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 18, 2009

The last place I worked at while living in Kansas, we had planned out themes. It was part of a curriculum called Curiosity Corner. In January, our themes were Winter Wonders, Art and Artist ( I would have kids paint at the easel, for dramatic play I would set up more easels and set it up like an art studio, etc). We also had Making Music where I would have the kids make their own instruments, we would pretend to be a band, wherever their imagination took them. We also had Pet Parade, we talked about certain animals that could be considered pets and those that couldn't. Some teachers would get permission and bring in their own pets. The kids loved it!! Then at the end of January we did Highlighting Heritage. I would have kids bring in pictures of family and sometimes have a parent of a different background come in and show some clothing. It was very interesting and I even learned things!! :)

30. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 18, 2009

I like you curisity corner ideas. tell me what sorts of "lessons" did you run on that painting and the bands-or was it more free play and grown up discussions draped on top. I think my people would be very interested in a arts focus. and it could fit in with many other things as well.

very interesting. love it.

31. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 18, 2009

Is it a event that has a lot of falling? Just wondering where I should put this (on carpet or not). My people are of varied ages and therefore varied skills at slipping. but we have walked across ice outside? I wonder if that would have helped them know how to negotiate this? hmmmm-thanks for the idea-we will definately be doing this on monday. somewhere?

32. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 18, 2009

With Curiosity Corner, we have a kitten puppet named Curiosity so after I do the routine of colors and shapes and counting I'll get the kids excited about Curiosity coming out and helping with circle. They love it! Curiosity Corner provides certain materials. Let's say on Monday, I would usually explain to the children that they can paint with anything while here at school and have different visuals of paint brushes, sponges, fly swatters, ping pong balls to roll in paint, and they can paint with any color. Tuesday, there was a big kid book of art with different pictures we would look at the different pictures and I would tell them they could paint whatever they wanted. Wednesday I would explain they could also draw. They can draw with markers, crayons, colored pencils, chalk, etc. Those are some ideas.

With the Making Music theme, we did any lessons with music, NO win musical chairs, freeze dance, marching band, we talked about different instruments and let each child try it. We listened to different tempo type music. Soft classical, upbeat kid music, etc. Hope this helps!:haha:

33. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 18, 2009

Be careful with the wax paper ice skating. We had an adult in our program last year fall and break a leg. Now no one is allowed to do that actitivty.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2009

I love January- so much time to delve into content area curriculum deeply:
    Martin Luther King- the things second graders say would make you weep

Inauguration

We study snow, the arctic and antarctic habitats

Non-fiction unit of study in reading- my kids just eat up books once we start NF reading- they are so into collecting 'facts'...'wow, Mrs. CzaCza, did you know....'

Stay energized and your kids will too...Put on some classical music, watch the snowfall and write about it...be inspired by the season, not pulled down by its 'bleakness'....

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2009

Use old Christmas cards and cut out scenes to make collages. Make bracelets with pony beads (or larger beads) to represent people's various skin colors. Have a peace day and glue feathers on cut out doves (or origami doves which you can make ahead of time). Make snowmen 'puppets' on sticks that pop up through the bottom of paper cups. Put different volumes of colored water in glass containers and ring them to hear different tones.

36. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 18, 2009

I like the skin tone pony bead bracelets.

37. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 18, 2009

I'm surprised places still allow shaving cream. When I worked at place that was partnered with Early Head Start we couldn't use shaving cream or food for any type of activities.

38. msj

msj Companion

Jan 19, 2009

With the 3's and 4's, I have never had anyone get hurt. They are pretty good at staying on their feet. I do this activity only on carpet. I tried this with 2's once, but most could not get the idea of sliding their feet.

39. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 19, 2009

I finally have gym time... or, time in the gym, at least. I still do my own activities... I saw the ice skating, and was wondering if it would be BAD to do in the gym... having more space is appealing, but only if it's still safe ;)

40. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 19, 2009

I checked with licensing. We can do shaving cream with our 3 and up crowd provided that there is adult supervision and washing nearby. We love saftey goggles and wearing them is sort of a priviledge not a chore. So that saves our eyes. The children feel that anything that has goggles is cool.

We have to have the chem make up on file as well as a sheet detailing how it can be used by all. The Colgate company supplied all that (I am waiting for the stir up old fashioned kind) - turns out the can is more harmful as a weapon than the product inside the can. Can doesn't stay down, no tiny parts, no inhaling - only cream.

It is a lot to go through-but I like my cream and when licensing sees all the follow through I never have had a problem.

That said it isn't something that the licensing staff openly announces we can use.