Blank wall

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Schuyler, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I have a large blank wall (10ft wide by 3 ft high), above some low shelves. I've decided, I'd like to make a word wall there, but I want it to look nicer than words taped to a wall. My idea was to put a sheet of bulletin board paper and put a border around it. My question is: How will I get the paper to stay on a painted surface, and I will I get the words to stay on the paper (I'd like them to come off easily in case I need to move things around). Any other ideas on how to do this? TIA!

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

I use hot glue to adhere to the wall, BUT it can take paint off, so you have to be careful. I use sticky tac for the words.

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

Personally, I would staple the large paper to the wall. Staple a lot around the edges and then cover the staples with the border. I don't know if you have rules about holes in the walls though ... if so, this might not work for you. I can staple as many things as I want to my walls, so that is what I would do.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

You could use a few pocket charts side by side. That way you won't have to worry about too many holes, and your students can take them to their seats.

I have mine on a magnetic white board for the same reason and love it!

6. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Head to your local Target. They have some sweet little 14-pocket pocket charts there for $1 each if you can find them. They'd be perfect for a word wall.

7. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

How do you hang pocket charts on a painted hard wall?

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2007

I use tacks.

Is it like a brick wall?

Maybe you can buy some self-adhesive hooks.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 27, 2007

Just a Decorative Idea...

You could make a Checkerboard Quilt or Rainbow Design for your backdrop.

What kind of painted surface do you have? We have cinderblocks (or fake ones) under it and the paint is glossy. So the end result is we can use glue (drat, can't remember the name of it now....we use it for EVERYTHING. I'll just call it teacher's glue for now) and it comes right off later. Some use hotglue or glue dots. None of those would work for a regular painted wall. You MIGHT get away with a few well placed strips of velcro on the wall and have them patch it with paint at the end of the year.

10. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I use industrial staples. After hearing the racket it made getting the staple into the wall, my kids scattered whenever I brought it out. I was pretty amusing... :)

11. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 27, 2007

I would use staples. The holes fill right in with touch up paint. Did you ever think of making a word wall using a graffiti style approach on the paper. I'm kind of an artsy fartsy girl so I think that would be neat. LOL...although some people might not like the look of graffiti. I'm weird, I've always love going into cities to see that type of "art". My husband thinks I'm delusional...LOL.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

I've used fabric as a background for my word wall for the last 3 years. The words come off easily. If it is a brick wall, you can hot glue the fabric to the wall. Then you can just tape the border around it and the words on it. If you can use staples in the wall, that would be great.

13. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

I'll have to check it out. But I think it is cinderblock with paint over it. Thanks for all the ideas!

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2007

I just went to the school supply section at Target and found the huge pocket charts red or blue for only $9.99!!! Well, worth is!! These are the big gigantic ones you see at teacher stores!!
    I bought three! These will be great because I can take them down when another class comes in and display the words for their particular class. They measure 34" x 52"!!! They have ten pockets going all the way across..long enough to hold an entire sentice strip! I am THRILLED!!!
    I also bought three of the little ones last week.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

Wal-Mart has the exact same pocket chart for the same price.

16. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Schuyler,
    I have my word wall posted above one of my white boards..... I first hot glued big foam letters (like for the bath tub) on the wall....spread out of course. Then under each letter I hot glued a sentence strip vertically. I only put hot glue at the top of each sentence strip and I had first hot glued 2 together so they would be long enough. I printed my words on cardstock (about 6 per piece of cardstock). I used a different color cardstock for each unit. As I got to the unit I put up the words by hot gluing them to the sentence strips underneath the correct letter. The part I like about this is once it is up...... if it needs to come down for whatever reason I just have to take down the sentence strips for each letter. We do not have to take down everything off our walls (thank goodness!) during the summer. I hope this makes sense.... I will post pictures after I can get into my classroom next week (if anyone is interested)

17. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 27, 2007

By the way... I have found hot glue comes off of a painted block wall easily....but not off of a unpainted brick wall. We have both at our school.

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

Hmm... I knew that it came off of brick wall easily, but I guess that I've only tried it on painted brick (now that I think back). I do know that paper that is not laminated is harder to get off when you hot glue it. But if it stays up all year, it's worth it.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 27, 2007

Our hallway walls and classroom walls look exactly the same. I discovered that the hallway had real painted cinderblocks and the classrooms have some kind of fake painted cinder blocks. I STILL forget that you can actually staple these walls and it comes right back out when you need it to!!

20. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 27, 2007

Buy plastic hooks that have the sticky tape on the back, but put a little hot glue on it too so it will stay put throughout the year. This is how I have my pocket charts up on my cabinets & cement walls. :2up:

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2007

3M Command Hooks are wonderful for walls. Some can hold up to 3 lbs on one hook. The Command strips are also removable, and won't rip off paint.

22. amyveg

amyveg Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Our custodians have screws that will screw into cinder block walls. You have to put a washer between them. Then when you are done, they can just unscrew them for you. I am thinking of pocket charts for a word wall all the way across! HTH!