blank wall space -help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lwag14, Oct 15, 2008.

1. lwag14

lwag14 Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

So my aide got fired last week, because she was always late, was almost never in the room, and when she was she spent more time on her phone than even looking at the kids let alone helping out.
    She had a corner of the room all to herself filled with junk, I do mean junk. Anything that was relevant to the class a managed to put in a few folders. So now what used to be a corner filled with random clutter now has nothing and it's driving me crazy. One of the walls has a window so there's nothing much I need to do there, but the other wall has about 5-6 free space now and I dont know what to do with it.
    I already have:
    a word wall and special sounds wall
    numbers/number words
    poetry board
    shapes
    colors
    writing/math/science/ss/library/games/puzzles centers
    BB for work samples
    2 art BBs
    special theme section (right now has community helpers up)

I just can't think of anything else I could use. I don't want to do anything seasonal because with 2 art boards that's pretty much taken care of. At the same time I don't mind putting something up that would have to be changed every now and then.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

3. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Oct 15, 2008

Birthday board?

4. lwag14

lwag14 Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

yup,
    I've also got the birthday chart, job chart, centers chart, rules poster, good behavior poster.

This is a big room, I found a spot for everything I could think of and now I'm stuck with an empty corner. I could keep her desk over there and add another center or just a display of some sort like a terrarium or something, but that would mean buying supplies for whatever I put there and this is a private school. I don't get paid enough to keep buying things for the room.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 15, 2008

A reading corner. A cheap rug from Wal Mart. A lamp from the thrift shop.

I wouldn't want to get rid of the desk. Maybe put the lamp and an arrangement of flowers on the desk. A basket of books under the desk.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

7. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

empty corner

Do you have a calendar??? Really need one. Or have an observation table which would include things from nature, (leaves, rocks, fossils, coral, seashells, balance scale, some magnifying glasses, etc.

8. Beatifulchaos

Beatifulchaos Rookie

Oct 15, 2008

You could leave it blank. It might be a welcome change for your ADHD kids if your room is too busy. I wouldn't stress over it.

What is cutesy to us, tends to be slightly overwhelming and overstimulating to kids. I don't put up a lot of stuff on my walls anymore bc I have lots of books displayed and a bright carpet on the floor.

But a reading corner might be nice. That way you have satisfied your "compulsion" :) (don't worry, I am the SAME way about things), but you don't necessarily have anything on the wall. Plus kids like reading corners a lot. Beware of bean bag chairs and pillows and all that jazz. I learned the HARD WAY my first year that those were BREEDING grounds for LICE. Ughh.

9. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Oct 15, 2008

Are you going to get a new aide?

Post pictures of your room and we can def. tell you waht to do next!:)

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 15, 2008

I love the idea of a reading area.

Get on your local freecycle list and ask for anything you would need-that's how I got ALL the stuff for my reading area-wingback chairs, a small table, an oriental rug, a plaster bust, etc. (www.freecycle.org)