Blackboard Wars....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Feb 16, 2013

So, I am watching this show "Blackboard Wars." This pretty little teacher asks the kids to tell her their favorite place to vacation. HA HA! Some people are meant to teach inner city kids, and some are not. I grew up in the inner city. I get the students I teach. If you haven't been there, you can't ever truly get it. p.s.....they DON'T vacation ANYWHERE!

Not sure how I feel about the show just yet. Have any of you seen it? It's truly the only thing on right now.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2013

Saw a commercial for it today for the first time. Looked interesting...didn't realize it was already on.

And yeah, that question is laughable.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 17, 2013

I remember seeing a commercial for it and wanting to see it. Maybe they'll rerun it, they tend to do that a lot on that channel. ;)

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 17, 2013

The next question is: What's on your bucket list?

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2013

In first grade Open Court reading, the script tells the teacher to ask the students about the times they have ridden on a train.

In the California Central valley, many adults have never ridden on a train, let alone six year olds.

7. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Feb 17, 2013

It's on OWN.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 17, 2013

Watched the first five on the computer. Love the principal so far but there is no way I would be giving my home phone and cell phone numbers to every student/parent!

9. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Feb 17, 2013

I watched it on OWN last night. I plan to watch it again.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 17, 2013

Wow. A lot of our students have never even left their own neighborhood, and have no idea what's going on out there. Asking them about vacation would be the worst thing.

11. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Feb 17, 2013

Poor thing, she didn't know any better. She said on the show that she grew up privileged. They showed clips of her later in the season crying and saying she was overwhelmed.

12. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Feb 17, 2013

Guess I am confused and I teach inner city, but why not ask the question about vacation? Because they live in the city they will never have any hopes or desires to change and maybe take a vacation? Maybe I would not have said your favorite place to vacation but rather where would you like to vacation? I teach kindergarten inner city and we talk about it after breaks and before summer vacation. Isn't our job to spark interests in the children? So since they are in the city we should allow them to believe that that is all it will ever be for them? I feel less bad for her, she tried.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2013

The change in wording that you suggested is the exact issue.

When you ask students about their favorite vacation that they've been on, it's a totally different question than asking students about their dream vacation or where they would choose to go on a vacation. One question implies that all/most students have had the life experience of going on a vacation, and the other makes no such implication and instead activates imagination and critical thinking.

In my experience working with inner city students, many of them have not done the things that I had done by their age. I didn't grow up "privileged" by any means, but I did grow up in a much different setting. I've been teaching in an inner-city setting for seven years and I still have to remind myself sometimes that many of my students have never traveled beyond our city limits.

It's very easy to alienate students, especially inner city students, by making assumptions. It sounds like this teacher made some assumptions that she shouldn't have. I'm sure that she didn't do it maliciously, but it is something that she, and all teachers who teach in a setting different from where they grew up, need to be mindful of.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2013

^ That. The change in wording changes it all..

15. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 18, 2013

Sarge, my favorite Open Court Kindergarten question was "What is a subway?" Can you guess how many kids here in Florida said "A sandwich shop?".:lol::lol::lol:

16. ATXMusic

ATXMusic Rookie

Feb 19, 2013

Haha, my school's Assessment Administrator chose an essay question for our benchmarks asking them to describe their favorite educational field trip.

Most of our students have never been on a field trip. Several didn't even know what a field trip was.

17. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Feb 20, 2013

I understand the difference, I guess I don't get why we would poke fun of a first year teacher, we have a teacher who really doesn't belong in an urban setting but we support her not poke fun. I know she chose to be on tv but sometimes it stuff like this that makes teachers get a bad rap and not taken seriously as a professional. How many doctors laugh about how someone made an ugly cut during a surgery? Or a lawyer bad law reference...just my opinion that's all!

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2013

I think that there's a difference between making fun of someone and pointing out an error in judgment. I certainly wasn't making fun of anyone.

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2013

I just watched the first 2 episodes and I like it a lot. It seems very honest. I'm impressed that the "privileged" teacher is so open about her feelings in a very frustrating environment. I hope she (and the show) last long enough for improvement to happen. Some of the advice she got was iffy, but I think she could really benefit from the parent volunteer in the room.

20. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Mar 2, 2013

Did you guys see the preview for the show tonight? She gets punched in the face. THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN! Dang. Might watch. I didn't watch last week.

21. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2013

When I visited Chicago and went into schools I was amazed that there were some kids who had never seen Lake Michigan!

Some of the CPS kids who came over to the UK were blown away by our countryside! They kept asking to get of the bus so that they could look over the fences at sheep and horses as they had never seen farm animals. We were trying to show them neolithic monuments and such like and they were just looking at the trees and fields!

Mind you I also tach some kids in my city who when we take them on field trips are amazed by just being out in the open air in places that don't have street lights (or cell phone signals)!

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2013

I've been to watch all along and just started watching an episode about twenty minutes in. It's focusing on the cheer coach right now. I'll continue to watch.

ETA: Two "days" of show in a row she's wearing a shoooort skirt. Just saying. Guess they have bigger fish to fry. ;)

23. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 3, 2013

I wish they would post the episodes online somewhere. I want to watch!

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 3, 2013

Me too! I've watched the clips on youtube and I'm really intrigued!

25. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 3, 2013

Watched an episode last night for the first time. The cheer coach is in way over her head and she will never be an effective teacher without some mentoring.

But I don't fault her for that. She's new and she knows she needs help/guidance and isn't getting it despite begging for it. Her issues (and that of many others) are a direct result of the principal's decision.

Seriously - playing family therapist for four freaking hours, trying to convince a mother and a daughter to get along, but not even meeting with a teacher that just got punched in the face?

I wanted to slap that counselor too. Blaming the teachers because the kids are leaving class ten minutes early. When the teachers are asking for basic rules that would give them some control. "Just control your class" the counselor said. ARRRGG. Why in the world do we have a school with multiple counselors but we can't even get a principal to help with discipline.

THIS is a big problem that I have with charter schools. Being run like a business with no clue as to what is going to be needed. The CEO has created charters how many times? But it did not occur to him that the school might need a student handbook with a code of conduct spelled out before the doors opened? And suddenly, he can hire two bouncers to work the hallways? That funding just magically appeared or it was money that was available from the start and he decided having someone managing discipline wasn't needed? It absolutely floors me that you can have a school which requires metal detectors at the entrance but you do not have a discipline system in place.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2013

I agree with all of your points.

27. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Mar 3, 2013

I literally gasped when she said that. Yea....easy for you to say. What a horrible attitude.

28. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Mar 3, 2013

I think my opinion of the cheer coach/teacher has changed. She is authentic and honest. I think the kids on her squad really care for her. She needs guidance, but doesn't seem to be getting any right now. She is overly-emotional, but if that's who you are, then that's who you are. But, I agree that the short skirts have got to go!

29. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Mar 3, 2013

I caught that too when I watched it last night. :mellow:

30. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Mar 3, 2013

- I agree with everything you mentioned.

I feel sorry for all of these first year teachers in this charter. It's like the CEO bussed them in from all places, probably promised good pay and whatever else to get them there but isn't following through with the supporting aspect of the job.

These teachers need SUPPORT. They shouldn't be told to "control their kids" because honestly, they can't do it alone!

I feel like the Principal is focusing too much on the negatives- mother/daughter issues, kids cutting class, etc.
    Of course, I'm no expert and I'm just a second year teacher, but I think he needs to implement a positive behavior program of some sort. I think this would help with some of the behavior issues. :unsure:

31. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 3, 2013

Please know this is not true of all charters. Just like all public schools/districts are run differently (some with supportive admin, some run by horrible admin), charters are all different. They are not all run like business, and they do not all have CEOs. Some (like mine, thankfully) are run by dedicated educators who have been in the field for decades and know what it's like to be the teacher in the trenches.

I have only watched clips of this show (don't have cable), but even with the clips I have to wonder how much of this "reality" is really reality. It just seems weird to have a camera crew present at intense meetings, confrontations, etc.

32. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2013

I watched it for the first time yesterday. A lot of the featured teachers just seemed so young. I'm surprised they don't have more experienced teachers (although I've only watched one episode, so there might be a lot more experienced teachers that weren't featured). It seems like a really tough school for a first year teacher. I was in a really tough school like that for one semester of my 4th year of teaching, and it was awful. I probably wouldn't have kept teaching if it was my first year!

33. Eurydike

Eurydike Rookie

Mar 3, 2013

Has anyone been able to see it online? I want to see!