Black History Month

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 25, 2008

Any plans for Black History Month? My students began asking today what we would be doing. I have not planned yet and need some ideas. Since this is my first year, I have not taught during Feb. Any ideas? Some students asked me if they could do reports. If you do reports, what kind of guidelines do you give? (btw, I teach 5th grade.)
    Ok...that turned out to be three questions instead of one. Sorry. Hope everyone had a great week. I know I am definitely celebrating the weekend right now. (It's a weekly holiday in my life. :))

3. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Jan 25, 2008

Hi there. This is my first year, also. I also teach 5th grade. I am going to have them make mobiles. They will choose from a large list that I made of famous African Americans. They will print/draw a picture of the person on both sides of the main piece of the mobile. Hanging from it will be 4 'chunks': why is the person famous, how does this person affect your life, what did/can you learn from this person, and student choice piece of information. I'll have them research one class period and create during one class period. If I had my flashdrive, I'd send you the research sheet I made...hope this helps!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2008

I will try to find the link, but there was just another recent thread on this topic. Some activities were presented that may interest you.

Today, I read the story called, Just Passing By about Sojourner Truth.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

6. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jan 26, 2008

MissFrizzle, thanks for posting that link. I browsed through to make sure there wasn't already a thread started, but I still missed it! haha

dxiechicken41, the mobile is a great idea! I'd like to hear more about what / how you're doing it. I sent you a PM with my e-mail address. Thanks!

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2008

I love the idea of the mobile too! Although, I was thinking about assigning a research report of some kind, because that is one of the few things left in their writing portfolios. I can pm my email too if you can send your rubric.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2008

My students love to learn about Jackie Robinson. Because it's sports related, they seem to 'feel' for the situation. Then I move on to Rosa Parks and MLK Jr.

The book Colors of Us

Older kids can dress like a famous person and state a few facts. I have seen this done as statues in MS. Push their button and they give a summary of who they are.

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2008

We just watched a cartoon called Our Friend Martin, about MLK. My Jeannie is 7, so I'm touchy about what she sees. This video handles racism well, I think.

10. dxiechicken41

dxiechicken41 Rookie

Jan 26, 2008

We just watched that movie yesterday! It's a good one! Great message - 60 minutes long - MLK week - Friday - perfect!

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 27, 2008

My kiddos do biographical dress-up book reports. They love it & really learn a lot from each other.

12. liteacher211

liteacher211 Rookie

Feb 2, 2008

Research Reports

I teach 5th grade and for Black History Month I have my students complete research reports on a famous person (past or present). They research the person using both books and websites. They have to write a written report on their person. For their presentation (they love this part!), they dress up as their person and tell the class who they are and what they are known for.