black history month ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dunwool, Jan 13, 2009.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Jan 13, 2009

I am a student teacher and I have to teach a social studies unit on black history month. All of the things I look at online are for higher grades. Is there anyone who has something that would work well for second grade with black history month or know of a link that would show me some good activities so I can develop my own unit? Any help is great!

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 13, 2009

4. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 13, 2009

I am a big fan of having students do some research about different, more obscure people from history. As second graders, they've probably not learned even about the "typical" black people from history, so you could come up with a list pretty easily. Each kid could find a picture, do some basic facts, and then all that can go on a poster to be put up around the room. Also, I remember that when I was in second grade we did this huge unit on Africa. We read a bunch of children's books about Africa, and learned about African dance, and did skits and such. African history is very much a part of black history and American history, so it might be good. It also shows the kids that Africa has a rich history and is not just disease ridden.