Black History Month Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jan 17, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 17, 2011

Anyone have any cute activities or websites?

I know people were talking about the white and brown egg lesson so I will do that and read various books about African American leaders but anything else?

I would like to try to do something at least once a week.

3. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jan 18, 2011

I read about this idea on perpetual preschool's website.

You could have different centers based on Famous African Americans with activities that have something to do based on what they did, or what they invented.

Here are some examples:

George Washington Carver: invented Peanut Butter, Activity, Play with edible peanut butter play dough, or due to peanut allergies you could use packing peanuts and make a collage with them.

Garret morgan: Invented the Traffic signal Activity: make an edible trafic light, or make a construction paper traffic light, play red light, green light.

Jackie Robinson: first African American Baseball Player, do a baseball wordsearch, play math baseball, design a baseball hat/ball/jersey.

Martin Luther King Jr.: I have a dream activity, have a template for children to write/draw their dreams in.

Rosa Parks: Sing the Wheels on the bus, read the wheels on the bus book, make an edible bus snack, paint with the wheels from toy buses.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 18, 2011

Great ideas. Thanks