Black History Assembly

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DOBY, Jan 29, 2009.

1. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Jan 29, 2009

Hey you guys, I kind of need help with Black History Assembly activities, any ideas? I do not know what to do but want to participate. I would appreciate ideas.

3. Lady D

Lady D Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

Your students could do a Reader's Theater or dress us like famous people from black history and recite a few facts about the person.

4. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

thanks,that is a geat idea.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 31, 2009

I think that every few days (or once or twice a week) throughout the month, you should teach your students about the Black individuals that we don't read about in our usual history books. Individuals that most people don't know about or who don't care about acknowledging. I'm talking about inventors, etc. In fact, this would be nice to do all year. Once a month throughout the school year, you can expose your kids to someone new.

Read to them about these important people that have made a mark in our history, then maybe give them an assignment or two on it.

Here's some sites:

http://teacher.scholastic.com/activities/bhistory/inventors/

http://inventors.about.com/library/blblackinventors.htm

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/inventors/black.shtml

6. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 31, 2009

Don't forget about all the amazing black poets and writers. Langston Hughes is hugely accessible to all ages, and Nikki Giovanni and Maya Angelou are just amazing in general. There are others, of course.

I always suggest having each student have one person they're going to be an expert on. They can then make a poster to be put up on the board.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

Please please do not let kids wear make up to look darker for this...A teacher in my school does a bulletin board where the kids make posters including yarn hair and craft google eyes, fabric for the skin..ends up looking a bit too cartoony...not respectful.

You could have the kids do 'Did you know' facts:
    Did you know Harriet Tubman rescued over ## slaves?
    Did you know Martin Luther King Junior skipped 2 grades in school?
    Did you know....

...and then you could sing a song about respect....

8. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

Thanks you guys, such great ideas! Am still thinking and searching, you know..... I have not placed my hands on the right one yet. I had them do the readers theater for Martin Luther King. I could do another one, but ..........

9. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

CZACZA, I would like a little more details on the'Did you know facts' that is if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

A colleague and I do a big biography celebration each year...The kids read poems about historical figures, sing a few songs, share some biographical info about a few key people... During the program we have kids 'pop up' and share facts about the historical person they researched...They stand up where they are and state: "Did you know...." We split the group up into about 3 separate 'groups' so the 'did you know' facts are sprinkled in the program at 3 different points...

11. DOBY

DOBY Rookie

Feb 1, 2009

Awesome! Sounds like fun. I will incorporate that idea into my class group discussions.