Black Friday Ads Out

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Nov 15, 2010.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 15, 2010

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 15, 2010

If I didn't despise walmart like the plague, they have some good ones...but I'd rather pay more somewhere else~

I think I am actually doing the up before dawn shopping this year. Stores around here don't get too carried away, so being there by 6 is plenty early.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2010

Thanks for posting the link! I don't know if I'll be up and out that morning or not. I don't have a burning need for anything specific this year and I've already done a lot of shopping online. It's the first year I've done some shopping online and I have to say that it's sooooooooooo easy. Plus, I don't even have to get out of my jammies.

I have a feeling my sister will want to go shopping that day, though.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2010

My hoosband and I are looking for a LCD HDTV for our guest room, and it looks like there are some good prices at both Walmart and Best Buy. We're also thinking about getting two new laptops, which we'd like to get for under $350 apiece.

We use Black Friday sales to buy stuff for us, not necessarily for gifts for others. I do most of my shopping for other people online.

The past several years we've gone to the BF sale at Walmart. For a store that I absolutely detest, it is remarkably neat and organized during this event, which is why we continue to go. We also try to live frugally, so when Walmart has items that are $50-100 less than identical items elsewhere, it's hard to pass that up. I do feel a strong moral objection, but it's not enough to keep me away... :p

I like most of the stuff at Best Buy, but in my experience Best Buy isn't the best place to go for BF stuff. The lines are always tremendously long, usually looping around the building. Plus, they only ever seem to have a few of each item in stock. So unless you're one of the first 20 people in line, it's very likely that you won't get that cheap laptop or GPS that you were looking for. Walmart at least always has lots of those items in stock.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Nov 15, 2010

I like to shop online. I go to the stores...but with no job...can't get anything that I want (nice camera to take pics of babies)...
    Last year I got a blu ray player from walmart online for $79...then the SAME ONE was at one of the stores for $50!!! They were just sitting there in a HUGE pile! We got 2 to give as gifts.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 15, 2010

Just a warning...I saw an ad for a Westinghouse TV from Target. DO NOT BUY WESTINGHOUSE! Google the name, there are tons of complaints. My dh and I bought a small one for our kitchen, and it barely worked 6 months. Then my mom bought a larger one for her living room, and it was less than 3 months before it just quit. Their customer service is CRAP too. They wanted my mom to pay to ship it back to them, which was going to cost a fortune because UPS apparently does not like to ship flat screen tv's. It was just a nightmare. She ended up just taking the loss.

Just a warning!

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2010

$25 Chef's gel mat for the kitchen at Kohl's - I think I will be getting one of those, and perhaps one for my mom too.

I have a feeling with moving into the new house this year, I am going to be buying more stuff for myself!

9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Companion

Nov 17, 2010

I am going to be getting this for my mom and MIL. What about the Peeble's ad? Has anyone seen it?

10. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 17, 2010

Try Newegg.com for an HDTV

We got one ~2 years ago on black friday

$350 for a 32" 720p LCD HDTV and 6 months of no interest

Last year we got a TomTom GPS for $55.

If you want to get two new laptops that cheap, then you are not looking for a laptop, you are looking for a netbook (even on black friday, laptops that are decent do not tend to be that cheap). You CAN purchase laptops on sites like hp.com with teacher discounts though

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2010

There are bigger LCD HDTVs (good brand names) for much less than that, according to the BF ads I've seen. Even last year we bought a good one, 42", for around $300 with free shipping. And since we don't buy on credit, I'm not interested in no interest deals. Cash only for us.

And yes, you can find laptops at that price right now. Two years ago my husband and I each got very good quality Toshiba laptops, fully loaded with Windows and MS Office packages, plus a few other things, for $348 each.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 18, 2010

Toshiba isn't exactly quality :p

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 18, 2010

Thanks for sharing...my mom is a diabetic and I think I will get her one for her kitchen and maybe one for her bathroom vanity. It hurts her feet to stand and do her hair and makeup some mornings.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 18, 2010

We have a scratch and dent electronic store in our area. They carry new items that the boxes have been messed up in transport. Best Buy and Walmart refuse them. They have a warrenty and are fine. I don't care about a box. They are a lot cheaper. See if you have one similar. I also buy all my appliances at the dent and ding appliance store. I have a freezer and a refridgerator that are over twenty years old that came from them. If you watch, you can get the ones with the dent in the back of the item. I am going to redo my kitchen next summer, and that is where I will get the appliances. I will get a new stove top, microwave, and dishwasher. The prices I have found are about $400 less than any other place and I can live without a box or with a small ding in the side or back.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 18, 2010

Our dryer came from a dent and ding sale at Sears. It has a pretty good dent in one side, but when it's side-by-side with the washer, you don't even see it. We got it for nearly half price with warranty, and it has been just fine.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2010

*shrugs* That seems like kind of a rude thing to say. Sorry that I can't afford a Macbook or something...a Toshiba is good enough for me. Black Friday sales are about finding a balance between quality and pricing.

17. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Nov 18, 2010

I have a Toshiba laptop and I love it. I have had it for a year and not one problem so far.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 18, 2010

I personally dislike macs, they use the same parts as everyone else (Their parts tend to be made by a company with factories in Taiwan, Foxconn, they make low-middle quality parts), they just put in a shinier case and charge more.

The more recognizable brands tend to have the best support. I would say that.. Acer is one of the least good brands, due to the lack of support and availability of replacement parts (We had to buy an off-brand battery for my brother's Acer).

Lenovo, HP, Dell, those are all good brands. You can get a HP for around $400 this time of year (with teacher/student discount)

19. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Nov 19, 2010

I've had mine for a few years now and so far so good. *knock on wood* The one I personally wouldn't get is a Dell because my parents, brother, and sister all had one at some point and they all had a lot of issues...I think, like anything, some brands work well for some people and not for others! I also liked my IBM ThinkPad that I had in college but it died when my brother tried to fix it...that was more his fault than the computer's, though!

20. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 19, 2010