Bizarre confusion on opening day for subs.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Aug 23, 2011.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

Today was opening day for my largest district.

Therefore, when I checked Aesop at half past midnight, I was expecting nothing.

I thought I was still dreaming when I discovered 15 jobs available, most lasting two weeks. I accepted the best one.

Reality set in when the school secretary said the job was a mistake, because it had already been filled, by a long term sub from last year.

The secretary then called someone at personnel. I was given an after school program job that started at 8.00, but she was not told where to send me.
    The secretary gave me a number to call to find out where to report, but I could not get a live voice. I left a voicemail.

I was stuck in limbo wondering where to go. My cell phone could not get a good connection when I called back, and the school's phones did not get me through. Dialing "9" first did not work.

I finally realized it would do me no good to hang around this chaotic office. so I made an educated guess at where to go, which was at the opposite end of the district.

I arrived 10 minutes late, only to discover that this job also did not exist.

I got paid 40% day.

Apparently, these jobs belonged to laid off teachers who failed to confirm officially that they were returning, so the jobs were put in at Aesop as if they were available, but they were not.

I then drove home(14 miles), and just before I arrived home, the 2nd secretary calls to tell me to drive to the personnel office(12 miles) because **** wants to talk with us.

So back I go.

Mr.**** only brought us in to explain to us what happened, This was somewhat of a downer because we were hoping for jobs.

I explained to him that I got sent away from two jobs and drove 50 miles total, so I asked him for 80% payday, and he obliged.

Overall, I had a 4.5 hour and 60 mile adventure for $100.

I've experinced alot of strange things in 14 years of subbing.

But this morning was unique indeed.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 23, 2011

How strange! Sounds like a lot of things in that school are chaotic. That was nice of them to try to compensate you though.

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 23, 2011

Wow! It's good that it seems like they were pretty obliging even with all of the chaos. I have noticed that sometimes it seems like the person that puts jobs into Aesop doesn't always know what they are doing.

5. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

My first phantom job was at a very good school, but the chaos was inevitable since it was opening day.

It would have been more convenient if the administrator would have just called us and left a message rather then sending us back to the district since there were only four of us. He could have told us in two minutes each.

I went an extra 24 miles out my way, but at least I get the extra $50

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

I wish I would learn to always have my cell phone with me.

I left in in my car, and found a message three hours later from another district. They wanted me for half a day after my morning adventure was over, so I lost $70 due to my absent mindedness.:mad:

7. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 24, 2011

The one place I sub for has been posting jobs since last week. Would be very nice but school doesn't start until next week!

8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 24, 2011

That happened to me in Philly. The teacher I replaced never showed up on the first day of school. Apparently, she didn't tell the district she accepted another job, so I was a last-minute replacement. I didn't even have to interview.

9. MsRuby

MsRuby Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

Subs in this county make $60 a day... I think I need to move if $100 is 80%!

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 4, 2011

I once accepted a sub job and arrived to a school having an inservice. It cost me work in other districts, not to mention mileage. I got the call from Aesop canceling the job as I was driving home. After that, I cut my availability for that district.

11. SpanishTeacher4

SpanishTeacher4 Rookie

Sep 7, 2011

I've had bad experiences w/ subbing as well. When you finally find out where you are going, you are then totally lost and confused, the teacher didn't leave enough plans and you are completely overwhelmed.