bits of intelligence?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mkate, Oct 22, 2009.

1. mkate

mkate Comrade

Oct 22, 2009

Hello! I was wondering whether any of you use this (the Doman method) or something similar with your classes. I live in Spain and right now I'm student teaching (English) in the Infant cycle (3-6 years old.) Here this method seems pretty popular, and it apparently works very well for teaching new vocabulary as well. Obviously it is only one small part of the curriculum, but still.

I hadn't heard of this technique until my supervising teacher told me about it, and I've been looking it up on the web, but so far in English I've only found references to it ("bits of intelligence") in relation to the actual commercial program. Do ECE teachers use it with their classes at all? I guess I am just wondering if it is an accepted pedagogical technique there, or just something that some parents do with their own children.

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 22, 2009

Wow, I can't believe Glenn Doman is still around! In the 70's he developed a program called "patterning" used with brain injured children. Doman believed their brains could be re-programed through a very intense program. I worked with a family who used his program. The American Academy of Pediatrics did not support Doman's theories.

In the 80's, Doman switched his focus from the brain injured to learning. He developed "Bits of Intelligence" based on his theory that children have the potential to learn so much more at an early age.

A similar program is being sold on the television in the United States. It's called "Your Baby Can Read." It is not used in early childhood programs here, nor is it accepted pedagogical technique.

4. mkate

mkate Comrade

Oct 23, 2009

Thanks, Dzenna. That was the impression I got from what I read on the net. Though actually as a technique for presenting new vocabulary to young children, it doesn't seem like a bad thing, as long as that isn't the only form of input they are getting on the subject (and as long as the vocab is simple stuff they are supposed to be learning anyway, and not words designed to show off "encyclopedic knowledge.")

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 23, 2009

You're right. It's not a bad way to present vocabulary. However, most in the ECE community here feel there are better practices.