Biting!!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissMav, Sep 28, 2011.

1. MissMav

MissMav Rookie

Sep 28, 2011

Any good techniques to stop the biting that has started? We are shadowing (keeping child within arms length), offered another method to keep mouth busy (child still uses binkie, child had it all day today after 2 bites within 1 hour, was told by director to use this method), redirection, seperation from classroom.

Mother of biter, yesterday after 3 bites and child was sent home, attempted to agrue with me about our policy while I was serving food to my children at lunch. She was very vocal and director had to step in and remove her.

Another mother, a bite victim, called me a f'''ing b'''h today over the phone and told me that I am a worthless teacher. She later apologized for her words.

Child who is biting has no language skills (possible overuse of binkie? just my opinion as mother, through my observations of interactions between mother and child, uses it to shut the child up), very bad (and sad) home life/situation.

Other children are picking up on this and are now biting and it's like a bite fest in my room.

I am beyond depressed and do not want to go to work tomorrow.

:(

3. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Sep 28, 2011

I'm surprised the child is still allowed in the preschool. My nephew was kicked out after three offenses. It was a private preschool, but even the public ones here will kick them out.

I can't help with methods of keeping the child from biting since we're still working hard on getting my nephew to stop before he starts regular school in a few years. I wish you luck.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 28, 2011

Wow! First, talk with director to get some back up with the parents. Send out a biting notice to all parents to explain the policies.

Then, as far as the biters it is arms length and redirection and keeping the mouth busy while working on communication which it sounds like you are already doing.

Biting stinks sorry!

5. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Sep 28, 2011

Yikes. I was bitten for the first time today. Happened so fast there was nothing I could do... Made me so mad!!! I also had a different kid bite another yesterday. Biting is just the worst I think!

6. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 28, 2011

Went through the same thing in my young toddler room!!
    I got VERY stressed out and hated going to work when I knew the "biters" would be there. I had ten children total and five of them were biters.

I was also the closer at the end of the night so I had to tell the parents if their child bit or was bitten and after a very bad day of biting and hearing all the parents blame me....I went home and cried.

My room changed when the biters (3 of the 5) moved up to the older toddler room.

We do the same thing as you do, arms length...redirecting. Nothing seemed to really work.
    We ended up splitting my room down the middle using cupboards and put a gate in the middle. We split up the children - biters and non biters. It has helped tremendously but is not perfect. I still have stressful days.

My director also updated the biting policy and sent home a copy to all toddler parents to sign and return it.

Best of luck!! You're not alone!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 29, 2011

Get some picture books about biting.
    Keep saying no biting. (I know, it is a negative direction, but exceptions are sometimes important.)
    Show the child nice, gentle touches by taking his hand and patting gently with it.
    Give the child something to chew on during the day. Soft teeting toys can help the child focus on what he can bite.

Keep it up, and good luck.

8. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Sep 29, 2011

What are the ages of the kids in your classroom?

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 29, 2011

When I taught toddlers and twos I always redirected and distracted whenever possible, except for biting. For biting, I would firmly and with a "teacher" face say NO biting. I really avoided saying no unless they were biting/hitting. I also showed them the crying child and would say biting hurts. After that, separate the child and only show attention to the bitten child so that the biting is not attention seeking behavior. Biting tends to come with teething at this age, so ask for some orajel or ask the director to provide it and the parent sign it in as medicine, give it as often as you can (per directions). Also, provide a variety of teething toys to bite, my favorite is a vibrating teether like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Infantino-Vibrating-Teether/16326934 It is about $5 at Walmart.

10. MissMav

MissMav Rookie

Sep 29, 2011

MrGrinch09, I am the lead Early Preschool teacher...my ages vary from 24 months to approx 30 months. I sometimes will get children who are as young as 20 months.

My biters are 29 months old.

11. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Sep 29, 2011

I have a biter this year in my class (he is 3 and a half) and we have been listening to Yo Gabba Gabba song "Don't Bite Your Friends" - not sure if it working on the biter, but everyone else in the class is being quite brainwashed...

:2cents: