Bit of a complexity...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by leeshis0019, Jul 30, 2013.

1. leeshis0019

leeshis0019 Companion

Jul 30, 2013

Alright, so I am graduating from college [tomorrow actually] so I'm assuming people already see the problem here. I'm actually graduating early by about 18 credit hours (I took extra hours each semester because...well I don't know why, but it's done).

My conundrum is that I won't have my certification completed until Mid September and I can't teach without it. I've emailed a few principals with openings and have networked and my references have even emailed people about me, but I don't have my certification (!! blah). I'm not sure if I'm being ignored because of this [as there are openings around here that have extended into the school year] or not.

I guess I'm curious is anyone knows if they would ignore me because my certification is still pending or not? I couldn't get around graduating this Summer and I was told it would probably be an issue eventually. I am hopeful that someone somewhere around here wants to retire in November or December or something happens.

It's a Chemistry Certification in Georgia by the way. I'm being choosy about where I want to go because I've heard horror stories about teaching in many of the districts around here not to mention I can [somewhat] afford to be choosy.

When I emailed the principals I asked them if some kind of exception could be made--could I send a letter home to parents telling them that I'm not [yet] highly qualified, but I will be (technically) Mid-September when certification processing goes through. I never heard anything back from any of them.

I have a portfolio with resume, reference letters, student work, etc. etc. and I'm quite ready and excited to teach, but I think I'll have to skip this school year unless there is an unexpected opening in Chemistry. I can do Physics also, but I honestly don't want my first year to be Physics because I feel like I might be run-down by it as Chemistry is my first love. I plan on getting "Broad-field certified" so I can teach several other subjects, but I really want Chemistry at least for my first year.

3. jwilso22

jwilso22 Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

Have you applied for you GA certification yet? When I applied for mine this July, it only took around 3 weeks for me to receive it. I did call to check on it once.

4. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jul 30, 2013

If the job market weren't so tough right now, you'd probably be getting some follow-ups. The problem is that, these days, principals generally get several applications for any position from candidates who have all the certificates (even in Chemistry). Those are most likely the ones that the principals are spending their time on.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2013

In my experience, you need to have a license in hand or have an application in process before any public district will consider hiring you.

Why won't you have your certification until September if you're graduating now? Do you have more classes to take?

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2013

Maybe you can look into subbing until your certification is finalized? There might be long-term sub placements available for this school year, and that will help you get your foot in the door.

7. DKM

DKM Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

No certification = no teaching job. In many states, it is considered law to have it. I didn't have my certification in time after graduation and I had to sub until I got it. Subbing is the only thing you can do and hopefully gain a long-term sub position.

8. leeshis0019

leeshis0019 Companion

Jul 31, 2013

No, the processing just takes that long. They have to do the final audit, print transcripts, send the paperwork into the PSC and then the PSC has to process the paperwork. I'm told that it takes 1-2 weeks, 1 week, 48 hours then 2-3 weeks respectively. So 1.5 months at worst and 1 month at best.

Sometimes I just wish that in this strange modern world of computing that we live in people would just get used to it. I'm dumbfounded about the length of time for most of this, but I suppose they want to cross their t's and dot their i's. I'll probably get into a Sub. position after I receive the certification and hope from there. If only they could consider me and call references--my mentor for student teaching told me flat-out that I didn't need student teaching...I pretty much seemed like a first-year teacher just getting my feet wet. Now why can't school start in October instead of August? :unsure:

9. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

You could sub or LTS before you get your certification in hand. They won't let you teach without one. I was in a similar situation last year - they ended up choosing someone else because my certification wasn't in yet (I got it in the mail the next day BTW :mad:). I didn't even sub, I became a bank teller until I got a full time teaching job - which i start in August :)!

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 31, 2013

You may be able to get a letter from your college that you meet all of the requirements for certification and have an application for certification pending that will not be denied. If you in a high needs area, that would be fine. People here teach with what they call "emergency credentials" all the time because no one can be found who was actually certified for the position.

11. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I'm in a similar boat. I feel like I'm getting passed over on interviews because I recently graduated and my application is in process. I am actually getting my temporary license (meaning, the school cleared me and sent my app to the DPI to be processed) at the end of the week according to my university's certification officer. So hopefully, there will be positions opening up soon. I also emailed all the principals of the schools I applied to and let them know I will have it later this week, hoping that it will keep (or put) me in a pile of prospective candidates:)

I'm not sure what it's like in GA, but I have heard of principals in WI pushing the DPI to "rush", if you will, new teachers/hires' applications so that they will have it by the time school starts.

Like MissCeliaB suggested, I would contact your school and see if they will provide you with a verification letter stating you completed your program, your application is in process of being completed, and won't be denied.

Best of luck to you!! Everything happens for a reason.