Birthdays

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by treehugger, Oct 7, 2010.

1. treehugger

treehugger Rookie

Oct 7, 2010

How do you celebrate birthdays in your classroom?

Currently, I set aside a time for the students to sit in the "teachers chair" (a huge deal for them, lol) and then each child in the class has the opportunity to tell the birthday child why they're glad that child is in our classroom or why they're glad they are friends. Then as a class we sing a birthday song to the birthday child (we have a few to choose from) Then if the family brought in a special birthday treat we usually have it for snack.

I'm wondering what you all do....we have my first classroom birthday tomorrow and I'm thinking about what else I can do to make it a special day!

3. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 7, 2010

I like your idea of having the kids tell the birthday child why they like having them in the class.

I give them a birthday crown to wear. The birthday girl/boy also gets to be my special helper all day. If they bring in treats we have them in the afternoon and sing Happy Birthday. I keep it pretty simple.

You won't believe this, but I had 7 birthdays in the month of September! Our cut off is Sept. 1st so these kids all turned 6. This is the oldest group of Kindergarteners I have ever had! I also have 1 repeater and 2 kids that were held out a year by their parents. 10 of my 20 kids are already 6! Its unbelievable.

4. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 7, 2010

Birthday Fun

Birthdays are really fun for me and I try to make them as fun as possible for the student as well.

The birthday person gets a lot of "firsts" for the day. Always first in line, first to pick something out, etc. Also, the child gets to pick from the treasure box. This is filled with candies, small toys, etc. The treasure box is seldom used, so the kids love it. Also, I try to make sure the kids have some kind of baked treat. My contribution is bringing in a large cupcake so the student has a candle and "cake" to blow out. (I must admit I cheat though, I go to my local bakery and pick up the large cupcake.)

I hope you and you student enjoy your first birthday of the year!

5. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 7, 2010

We make a pretty big deal out of birthdays. Our first birthday was on Tuesday, and it was a new girl too-she started in our class on Monday.

In the afternoon, the parent comes in (if no parent is available, any other family member is welcome to take their place) with mini cupcakes/cookies/or donuts. We start with a Birthday Band. All the girls sit on chairs (we're an all girls school), except the birthday girl, who stands on a chair in the front, facing the class. Birthday girl chooses a song, and the whole class bangs away on rhythm instruments while singing-as long as the conductor is waving her stick. She gets to pick up and put down her stick at will. After one song, we switch to the child holding a stuffed rabbit in one hand, and a turtle in the other. If the rabbit is up, the class sings fast, turtle makes us sing slow. Then we do the same with a lion (loud) and mouse (soft).

After that, we sit on the carpet and sing a birthday song/chant with animal sounds. Then we sit at the table and sing happy birthday, and the birthday girl gives out a treat. When we're done that, we play musical chairs, and as the children get out, they return to the table to make birthday cards.

We also put a card on our calendar that says "Happy Birthday" during calendar time, and the girl wears a crown for the afternoon.

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 7, 2010

I forgot to mention that I pick a day during the last week of school to celebrate summer birthdays. I usually buy an icecream type treat for the class and give anybody that has a summer birthday a crown to wear for the day. I don't tell them that I am doing this so they are surprised when I announce that we are celebrating their summer birthday.

I have a summer birthday and I never got to celebrate my birthday at school like the other kids. I think thats why I feel that it is important not to forget these kids too.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 8, 2010

I don't do too much...They get to wear a birthday crown, pick out a birthday book (I write a little message inside), and the class signs a birthday card. The principal announces their birthday on morning announcements, as well. Each child has a monthly "leader day" and I always make sure leader days are on birthdays. Other than that, we just sign to them during snack time. It's not too much, but just enough to make them feel special.

8. treehugger

treehugger Rookie

Oct 8, 2010

I do this as well, but I give each child their own day and let the parents know what I'm doing so they can send in treats if they want. My daughter has a summer birthday, and I feel bad that she doesn't get to celebrate with her friends! Thanks for sharing!

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2010

We don't do treats on the birthday. Some kids' parents can and do bring treats and some can't or don't. So once a month, we celebrate birthdays by having birthday lunch. the kids who have a birthdya in that month get to eat lunch all together with the teachers and we created little gift bags with pencils, stickers and erasers.

School wide though, all kids get to stand up during our morning community time and have the school sing happy birthday and they get to tell the whole school what they are doing for their day.

I couldn't believe one girl said she was going to Paris....I thought it just wishful thinking, but nope, it was true....

10. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 11, 2010

I try to make the student line leader and star of the week the week of their birthday. Their parent can come in and read a story, we will have a treat - whatever their parent brings in. I give a birthday crown. Some parents like to do goodie bags etc which I do not let happen