Birthday Gift Suggestions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Securis, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

It's my nephew's 1st birthday coming soon and I'd like to get him something. However, I don't want it to be a toy or clothing. I'd rather it be something that a 1 yr old could enjoy right then.

I was thinking a soft cookie with his name iced on it.

Any ideas?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 25, 2009

That's a cute idea. I would maybe put that on TOP of the present. So he still has something to open. It's so much fun to see little kids rip open the presents LOL

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2009

That's a cute idea, but remember he'll probably be having cake. Something else he'd probably enjoy looking at is a balloon (as long as he doesn't put it in his mouth).

Something with lights & music seems to be the best bet for that age!!!

5. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

Are you sure his parents let him have stuff like that? I let my son enjoy his cake on his 1st birthday, but would have flipped if someone had given him something like a cookie.

If his parents are okay with it, then it's a cute idea, but I agree, I would still get him a little something to open. What about a good picture book?

6. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 25, 2009

How about a photo book? I know you can make some online at Snapfish or Shutterfly. They have flip books but I'm not sure if they have anything more durable for a 1-year-old. If not, you can get the soft cover ones at Walmart, Target, Babies R US, etc., and insert your own photos in them - you could put photos of him, his family, pets, etc. I remember my niece and nephews used to love looking at them when they were babies.

7. deazy86

deazy86 Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

That’s a great idea or how about personalized books? Kids love to hear their own name in the storyline. You can make a wonderful, unique & special gift... It's something they can enjoy now and keep forever!! Good Luck! :)

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

I know my sister very well. She wouldn't mind and even then if she didn't want the little fellow to have it, she or her husband might eat it.

I like the idea of the photo book but that wold take some pre-planning to accomplish. I'm out of time in terms of making anything.

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 26, 2009

I always buy books.

There's some great hardboard books which have felt, sandpaper, or fabric pictures. My 13 month old grandson has some and he loves them. I dont' think it's ever too early to start them out reading, when he sits in my lap to look at the books, I tell him we're reading.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2009

Books are also what we give & get as well. There are some really cute hardboard books, like Hoot Owl said. We have some that make noise (like a farm, truck & others), our lil ones loved that. We also have one that was a puppet. The others that are big hits are the lift flap ones!!!