Birthday Gift Ideas for My Longtime BF?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

OK guys, so I'm going to a 1st time surprise b-day party for my BF who's a twin. (His mom & sis are planning it, but I'm tracking down & inviting a couple guests). We've been dating quite a while, so for this party, I have no idea what to get him, but it shouldn't be large in size since I probably have to sneak it in the car when we go. Actually, as long as it fits comfortably in a regular plastic store bag, it should still be OK. (BF will get his twin something coming from the both of us.)

Any ideas?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2014

It's kind of hard to suggest something without knowing anything about him...

What are his hobbies/interests?
    His profession?

How long have you been dating that you have "no idea what to get him"? I always have at least a few ideas for my DH, or at least areas to go off of.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 16, 2014

I would find out if the twin's significant other is giving a present at the party. It would be super awkward if one twin got a present, and the other didn't. Could the two of you go in on something fun for both? You don't want your gift to take attention away from the focus of the party: your man and his brother. Some families do personal gifts in private. My hubby and I exchange Christmas gifts privately at home before going to holiday celebrations with our families. Same with birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

I have a hard time recommending gifts for people I don't know, as well, because I always try hard to make gifts very personal. What does he enjoy? What are his hobbies? Is there something he needs for work? What is your budget?

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 16, 2014

How much do you usually spend on him? I'd suggest something from Etsy or another crafter/artist. Unique things are so awesome!

I would wait to give it to him though. BF and I almost exclusively exchange our gifts at home.

6. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2014

That is a really good point about exchanging at home. I would probably do the same.

(And I love Etsy! I got DH's wedding gift from there, and just ordered a Christmas present yesterday. :) )

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 16, 2014

Does he travel at all? I saw on Etsy where you could get luggage tags with the coordinates of a special place on them.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 16, 2014

Yeah you have to describe him at least a little! For Christmas, I'm getting my BF a couple rounds of golf at a nice course (there's a deal at Costco!) and PJ pants embroidered with his initials. No idea if your guy plays golf or not. My other top idea (which I'm not getting) was a nice new leather laptop bag for work. He's a new boyfriend and this is our first gift giving holiday, so I'm really struggling, actually! I have no idea if I'm spending too much.

I agree about exchanging from home, though. I've never done it any other way with significant others, party or not.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

Tell us about him. How long have you two been together? What sorts of gifts have you gotten him in the past?

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

Yeah, sorry guys. I know it's tough for you to just come up w/ ideas. We're at the stage where we've been dating long enough to have already gone through all the creative, quirky, etc. gifts.

There's nothing much I haven't already given him at this point. Since Christmas is a week before his birthday, I got him this 150-pack of colored pencils, since he's an artist, so that could be a good gift, but the size of that will be huge. I'll have to think more.

11. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 16, 2014

In my experience, the creative/quirky ideas shouldn't run out.

What are some specific gifts you've given him in the past? Say, the last five.

12. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 16, 2014

It would really be a lot easier to give suggestions if you let us know a little bit about him! Hobbies, interests, stuff he likes in general, etc. Another gift idea I had for my BF (which I will probably do in the future) is beer glasses with the logos for his favorite sports teams and some nice Belgian beers to go with them. But I have no idea if your BF is into sports or beer! That's why it's hard to be helpful.

Edit: Tickets to sporting events are good too. They were out of my price range this year, but might be doable for you depending on the sport and team. I've gifted past BFs concert tickets as well.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

Isn't that what you suggested that his mom get him? What if she gets him the same thing?

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 16, 2014

This. I found the coolest wooden Block O for BF and this is our 7th Christmas :)

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

Thanks guys for the Etsy suggestion.

Caesar, 2 days later, I quickly told her to disregard my suggestion because I noticed that Amazon can change their prices throughout the course of a day. I didn't know that before. When I first saw the item on Amazon for $98, I suggested that to his mom just to be helpful. Then, I went back to Amazon & saw it said $125, so I wanted to keep an eye on it throughout the day & didn't want to take a chance wondering if his mom will even get it. So I went ahead & snapped it up before it went up again & just told his mom to disregard my suggestion.

His likes:

- airsoft, but I'd have absolutely no idea what to get him without asking him
    - clothes, I get him that as it is sometimes
    - art - but just got him a 150-pack colored pencils for probably Christmas...could be b-day & too big to sneak into the car anyway
    - DVD movies - wanted something more special than that this time at the surprise party

Maybe it's better to say what he doesn't like:

- doesn't drink or smoke
    - not into any sports
    - doesn't do enough outdoors to get anything for that

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

Did you mean to post a link? In the meantime, I looked up Block O. Do you mean like a block for decor/nostalgic purposes?

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

Haven't heard of airsoft, so just looked it up. Is there a place he likes to go? Perhaps passes for him and a group of friends there? What about an "experience"--dinner cooked at home by a chef, a restaurant you wouldn't normally go to, a luxury car rental?

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

Maybe I shouldn't say quirky. He's not really quirky. The last things I got him were for Christmas:

clothes
    DVD movies
    colored pencils
    better ipod earbuds
    Skechers sneakers
    $50 Pro Bass Store gift card...he'd use another one! :D

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

What kind of things does he buy from Bass Pro?

20. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Dec 16, 2014

I'm more of a paintball guy than an airsoft guy, but there's a lot of gift possibilities there, like CO2 propellant, ammo, targets for target practice, a new gun, etc.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

Nice suggestions. He's the type who never expects anything, plus, he's more the simple type, but of course who wouldn't like your suggestions! He'd rather me keep the money for myself.

LOL!...some airsoft stuff, whatever that is...but not the gun itself. He goes to special airsoft stores for that.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

He used to be into paintball long ago. I think he likes airsoft because the equipment's more realistic. Him & his bros & a few guys have been to those events where they have the whole elaborate simulation/military ops games out in the desert. You probably know about that too.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

The best gifts are those that aren't expected. You said that he is an artist--perhaps get some of his works professionally framed, buy him a piece by an artist that he particularly admires, or give him lessons in a medium that he doesn't typically use.

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 16, 2014

No link. Block O is for Ohio State. It has a Buckeye leaf on it. It's very cool. He doesn't stain it but the wood is still a red color. He does all kinds of woodworking. Excellent guy! I will buy more from him.

Does he really need more "stuff"? I know I don't, so I only ask for things I want like snow village pieces.

In years past, I've gotten us experiences. One year we went to a B and B in February but it was his Christmas gift. Last year I got him March Madness tickets. I get my dad Indians tickets every year. I love it. We get to spend time together and build memories.

25. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2014

I've been loving the website www.thinkgeek.com lately. I found lots of quirky and cool things on there to get for my brother.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

You've spoken recently of your soon to be fiancé...how about a long lasting gift?
    A beautiful watch? Engraved...
    A bracelet
    Beautiful neck chain?

27. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2014

THIS!!! I also love giving trips/tickets and experiences to the people I'm close too and it's a great way to spend time with them. Not to mention, it gives you two something to look forward to.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 17, 2014

Yes! Trips, cooking classes or craft classes (my sister and her husband went to a one session painting class and it was a lot of fun). Do you have a dinner theater in the area? I got tickets for Christmas a few years ago to see a show and it was such a nice surprise.

29. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Dec 17, 2014

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2014

Dh ordered these for sons.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 18, 2014

Very cool but extremely expensive!
    (I'm not sure what my husband would do if I got him a Zombie apocalypse crate. He might chase me around the house with one of those weapons for wasting my money :rofl::rofl: )

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 18, 2014

Thanks for reminding me about that site, I like it.

He's not the jewelry type. He says he'd only really wear a watch (has one already). I got him a bracelet already & the only ring he'd wear is his wedding band. Thanks.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

33. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 18, 2014

Have you coordinated with his twin's SO and family to see what they are doing? I still think would be a good time to collaborate with them to make sure everyone is on the same page. Some people have very different ideas about gift giving, and how much is appropriate, and if it should be done in public or private. You don't want anything else to harm the relationship between you and his family.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 18, 2014

MissCeliaB, no I haven't coordinated anything w/ his twin's SO. I could, but I'm not going to get all involved. His mom's been keeping in touch w/ me, so that's fine. The best thing to do is, I'll just plan to bring my gift to my BF & whether they open gifts or not at the party, at least I'll have mine ready. My BF will bring a gift to twin bro from us both & that's it, no huge deal. :)

So, actually my gift doesn't have to be small in size to sneak in the car because my BF & I are supposedly "going to dinner" w/ 2 of his siblings & their spouses, so he won't think anything if I carry his gift to take to the restaurant.
    :)

35. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 18, 2014

This is just an observation based on a similar experience in my family, so please do not be offended. This is the exact time that you should get "all involved." Ask if they need help planning the party, use every chance to make connections and coordinate with them about this! It's a great excuse to make connections and get to know them! I would still want to make sure that my gift was in line with other gifts opened at the party. Again, based on a personal experience of a joint birthday party, it was really awkward (for everyone involved) when one person got a book, and another person got a fancy diamond necklace. All of that awkwardness could have been avoided by simply coordinating, and giving the larger presents privately before or after the party.

I don't have a very warm relationship with my husband's mother or much of his family, and they have relationships with each other that I will politely describe as interesting, but when we coordinate big events like this, we always plan ahead with each other.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 18, 2014

Good advice. I meant to add above, which I did now, that his mom & I have been keeping in touch a few times so far re: the party, so that's good enough for me! After all, it's the man's mother you only really have to impress or have like you right?! Actually, my SO's said several times in the past that his mom loves me. I'm just not seen around as much as the others who seem to have something going on every week (I'm kind of exaggerating about the frequency, but they do get together a lot). :)

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 18, 2014

I'm sorry that you don't think it's important to build relationships with anyone other than his mother. Helping to plan the party would be a great opportunity to work together with some of those family members you feel distant from.

Have you decided on a gift?

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 18, 2014

Yeah well, friendliness, hospitality, plain common courtesy, an ounce of sincerity, warnmess, a simple smile, & all that jazz is a 2-way street. I can be the sweetest person on earth (& I am w/o being overly mushy about it), but if the other party never reciprocates the same ever, ever, ever, then am I going to feel included, liked, etc.? No. But, I'm nice the times I'm in their presence.

Still thinking of a gift. My parents are giving him something too, like a gift card somewhere.

My SO said he even plans to tell his siblings that I'm his & I quote "soul mate & soon-to-be wife & to be more hospitable" to me. Now that's between him & them. I won't be present when he tells them that.

39. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 18, 2014

How about asking him to marry you! :D

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2014

LOL Peachy...possibly...but, I'd want him to ask me. However, I'm going to pick out my own ring! ;)

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 22, 2014

So far, I think I'll get him a nice sweater &/or Drakkar Noir cologne.