Birthday Celebration Ideas

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skittleroo, Jun 28, 2011.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2011

I stumbled across this youtube video from Dr. Jean about ideas to celebrate a child's birthday in the classroom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O53tvyWSWKA

I loved the idea and it got me wondering what other teachers do to celebrate birthdays in the classroom. I really like the idea of not giving a present or prize, but giving the child a wish.

Any other great ideas?

3. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jun 28, 2011

I have a take home bag filled with birthday activities and birthday books to read. This only goes home if the child wants to take it. We sing Jack Hartmann's Birthday song and I give them hugs or handshakes totaling their age. Again, this is only if they want to do this and are allowed.

4. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Jun 28, 2011

They get a birthday crown (paper) when they come in the room. We have a birthday song (that I have used for years) that we sing while the child sits at the front of the circle. We then go around the circle & each child "gives" the birthday child a "wish" gift-I explain that it's not a gift that they buy, but wish for the birthday person. I then give him/her a birthday award with a birthday pencil. Then they get one thing out of the birthday basket. This is simply a basket that I fill with items from the Dollar Store. The birthday person gets to line up behind the helpers for the day. Because we rarely have birthday parties anymore (because of food restrictions) we sing the birthday song again at snack time.