Birth Control Patch

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Amanda, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Nov 11, 2005

I thought I would post a link to this article about the patch:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/11/earlyshow/health/health_news/main1037611.shtml

I used it for just over a year, and was told that it was just like the pill. It turns out that patch users are exposed to more estrogen and studies are showing that patch users are 3x more likely to have blood clots/strokes. If I had known about the extra risks, I don't think I would have used it. It is a little more convenient, but then again, the patch is sometimes uncomfortable. In my opinion, the benefits don't outweigh the extra risk. I'm glad I stopped using it when I did. I thought I would let others know about it in case you haven't heard. :)

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2005

Wow, thanks for posting this Amanda. The patch was the last thing I was on before I stopped using BC completely...they all started making me ill. I was debating going back on it for fear we may have an "oopsie" but now I am definitly not going to use that one if I do.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2005

I was really surprised to hear that on the news last night...I'm on the pill not the patch, but I always wondered if the patch would be more convenient for me...not anymore!

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2005

The patch made me so sick...I needed bc because my long distance running was making me have *problems* but on the patch I would throw up all day Sunday, and Monday morning, I would go to school at noon so that I could go to practice, but I'd be too sick to actually run. After 4 months of that I switched to the pill. It was awful!

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 11, 2005

I'm not on the pill or patch (dr. won't prescribe due to a clotting factor in my blood) but my sister uses the patch. I'll definitely have to speak to her about this new info.

7. Amanda

Nov 11, 2005

The thing is, this was first announced over the summer. I remember hearing it mentioned right after I stopped wearing it in late August, but I've since found articles about it dating back to July. I think they just now added a stronger warning to the packaging. But the original testing they did on this in 2000 showed the increased risk of blood clots over the pill!

I was on the pill for almost 10 years and didn't notice anything different when I switched to the patch for a year. I did like not having to take a pill every day, but it was a trade-off. The patch was kind of in the way. It sometimes wrinkled up or shifted, leaving some sticky stuff around the edge of the patch and then fuzz would get stuck to that. Not the prettiest sight! I was ready to put on a new patch after 3 days, but you have to wear it for a full week. I was thinking about not going back to the patch anyway, but then decided to go off BC completely and see if it was time to have a baby. :)

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2005

I hated how the fuzz from my pants would get stuck to the edges. It looked so ugly :(

9. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Nov 11, 2005

I went to my doctor this week, and asked her about the patch. She told me that the teens coming to her her go on that refer to it as "the dirty bandaid". She recommended instead the Nuvaring. So far so good.

10. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Nov 11, 2005

I was on the pill when our "oopsie" happened.
    We named her Destiny because we decided she was meant to be :D

11. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Nov 12, 2005

I am currently on the patch and have been for two years. However, after I heard this report on the news the other day, I called my doctor and have an appointment Wednesday to change my prescription to the pill.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 12, 2005

I have never used the patch. I got the shot twice. Which turned me into EVIL Jaime. So I have been on the pill for ever. Do you think after 14 yrs on the pill it's bad? Any one heard anything about prolonged B.C. pill side effects?

13. Amanda

Nov 12, 2005

I was wondering about that myself. I'm not sure what to believe (after seeing the research they knew about the patch BEFORE it was approved), but the information I found tends to lean toward BC use preventing certain types of cancers.

This link may help answer your question:
    http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/3571.html

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 12, 2005

Thanks Amanda.

15. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 12, 2005

What about the shot, I know Jamie, you said it wasn't for you, but what is the effectiveness for it?

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 12, 2005

The shot is 99.9% effective too, just like the pill I think. I'm pretty sure that on the shot you don't get your period at all. I have been told, though, that some people have "break through bleeding" for weeks at a time after getting the shot....makes you wonder if it's really worth it!

17. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 12, 2005

I have a personal question about all this, effectiveness and whatnot, but don't really want to post it here, if someone is comfortable with answering this kind of stuff, please pm me. :eek:

18. smilesjd

smilesjd Rookie

Nov 12, 2005

You're not suppose to get your period when you get the shot. Like Beth said, some do experience some bleeding/spotting though.

19. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 12, 2005

So it is pretty much unlikely to become pregnant while on that. It's just kind of odd feeling to not get the regular period.

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 12, 2005

I had considered the shot because I cannot take the pill or patch. The doctor had told me that the shot may be an option for me because it's not a daily dosage of estrogen, which would make it less of a risk for clotting. I was really hesitant, though because I would still be injected with estrogen and because I've heard horror stories of people bleeding or spotting for a month at a time..
    I was on POP birth control (progestin only pills) for a while, but my insurance didn't cover it so I couldn't continue. :( They're not as effective as regular birth control anyway, though.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 12, 2005

It's nearly impossible to get pregnant on that because I don't think you ovulate at all.
    I was afraid that it would be strange to not get a regular period too.

22. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 12, 2005

Ok, thank you for the information. I'm just being extra cautious about it all.

23. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2005

I only get my period every 10 weeks. I take three boxes of the pill and skip the off week for the first two. I love it, I never want to go back. I get soooooo sick when I get my period, I get migraine headaches and can hardly get out of bed the whole week. Now I know exactly when my period is going to be, and that my migraine will start every 10th Tuesday. It's a little weird, but it makes life so much easier!!!

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 13, 2005

daysy_may,
    Post it here we don't mind. If not you can pm me I dont' mind. Not sure if I will know the answer.
    As for the shot. It really messed with me. I was crazy. I did only get my period every three months. Or something like that.
    My friend was on it for years. But now she has some problems. I'm not sure if it is shot related or genetic. Her sisters that also were on the shot are having problems to.

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 13, 2005

Aren't you afraid you might be preg? How would you know until the third month when your period doesn't come.

26. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2005

Well, since I haven't done anything that could get me pregnant, I'm pretty sure, hahaha ;)

My doctor just told me that once I am actually using the pill for birth control, if my period is at all late to go in immediately, but that there shouldn't be any problems...

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2005

Boy, am I glad I'm past those worries!!!! My husband is fixed!!!! LOL!!! Now, that's the way to go, ladies!!!! Well, when you are done having kids, anyhow!

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 13, 2005

That sounds like a good plan kinders. But I'm not sure if I am done yet since I haven't start yet. Not sure I will ever start but maybe.

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2005

Hearing all of this makes me glad that I don't take any BC anymore. The patch made me ill so I stopped. Now all this stuff is coming out of the wood work. Makes you wonder what stuff will come out of the word work with other things in the future.

30. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 14, 2005

I am one for the shot, I love not having a period!!! You can get it in your arm or butt, I used to get it in my arm but my whole arm and right side went numb once because they hit a nerve! so now I opt for the other spot and its quick and easy every 3 months! I never did want to do the patch because I heard it wasn't effective for some one that may be overweight. ------ so just wish I could convince my husband to "get fixed". :)

31. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 14, 2005

I just re-read some of the post and it seamed like someone was unasure about not getting a period, My husband wondered about that too, and thought it wasn't normal, he had me ask my doctor aobut it and the doctor said its fine. I related it like this to my husband: The top of our entertainment center gets cluttered! and once in a while we have to clean it off. But if we didn't put little odds and ends and junk on the top of the entertainment center it would stay clean and we wouldn't have to clean it off! :rolleyes: I hope this story makes sense in what I was relating it too.

32. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2005

My boyfriend loves that I don't get my period, because then he doesn't have to deal with me turning into an evil monster! ;)

33. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 14, 2005

not to mention it saves $!! My husband does our grocery shopping, I think he is glad he doesn't have to pick out the exact brand and package I would need!:eek:

34. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 14, 2005

haha...very true!
    I have to say, though, there have been times where I've been in pain and can't get out of bed and my boyfriend has gone to the store to get my the things that I need. He's pretty good about that.

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2005

Ha ha! I have done that to my hubby before. The other day I saw a guy on his cell phone in the feminine products section. He couldn't find what his wife was asking him to get and he looked all flustered. I mentioned it to my hubby when I got home and he said that's what he looks like when he has to do that for me...:eek: .

36. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 14, 2005

I guess its the sign of true love?? :)

37. smilesjd

smilesjd Rookie

Nov 14, 2005

I've had a few guys ask me which kind to get while I was picking some up...haha...Or the famous "Does this kind have wings?" You gotta love it!!!

38. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 14, 2005

Oh, my boyfriend would NEVER ask for help! haha He'd just assume get me the wrong thing! I can't complain, though, I'm lucky he'll go to the store to get those things to begin with.

39. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2005

My dad NEVER will EVER go get any for my mother. He pokes fun of my hubby for doing it for me.

40. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2005

My mom has sent my dad, he ALWAYS gets the wrong thing and then we have a cupboard full of stuff we don't use! My mom, my sis and I are all picky, and we all have differnt preferences :)

41. Dolla

Dolla Companion

Nov 15, 2005

I have a Mirena IUD. It's 99% effective, It lasts for 5 years, and once it is removed your fertility returns within your next cycle, not like with the pill where it takes months to start ovulating again.

Take a look at this site: www.mirena-us.com

It's preferable to use it after you have had a child. My gynae never informed me of this so I had quite a bit of pain for a while afterwards but now all the pain is gone, my period is almost non-existant and I don't have to worry about skipping a pill. The only downside that I have experienced so far is that my skin gets a bit bad with spots when it is supposed to be that time of the month but that is about it.