Birth-2 or 1-6

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by holley.padula, Dec 26, 2009.

1. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 26, 2009

Hi all,

I'm a montessori teacher who is planning to go back to school to get my degree in Elementary Education.

I am struggling with what to get my certification in. I KNOW I want to teacher the primary grades, preferably K-2.

So, I am leaning toward early childhood (Birth-2nd.)

Any suggestions????

Thankyou! :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2009

I think your job prospects will be better if you go with 1-6. It gives you a bigger age span and once you begin classroom practicums, you may find that the older children appeal to you.

4. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 26, 2009

Thank you. I think it will be fairly easy for me to "add on" the Birth-2nd certification, with my experience and previous coursework!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2009

I majored in childhood education 1-6 and was able to add the birth-2 certification on based on coursework I needed to obtain my master's degree in literacy birth-6. I believe that you would only have to take a course or two to get add the certification on.

By the way, I live in Central New York, too! It's always nice to see others from the general area on the forum!

6. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Dec 27, 2009

I agree- go for the 1-6. I was fortunate to get K-8 for my license so I feel secure in my district (and tenure doesn't hurt!) but a friend of mine is birth-2 and she doesn't have as many options as I do if cuts come down.

7. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

Thank you

Thank you for the thoughts. I will do just that. I'm emailing the rep at BOCES to see what I would need to do that "tack" on the primary grades. I don't think it is much.

8. holley.padula

holley.padula Rookie

Dec 28, 2009

It annoys me tremendously that our state does not have K-6 as the option. I understand the early childhood piece, but it would make things alot easier for teachers.